CHAPTER THIRTEEN

CHAPTER THIRTEEN: THE RETURN

Kill me.

That's the only thing I can hear reply on my head. I think the same thing over and over again. The moment I wake up in a hospital bed, and I look down to see that I'm chained to the bed, I instantly feel sick. And I want to die. HYDRA captured me, and I promised myself I would die before letting myself go back to that Hellhole.

I tug my arms, trying to rid myself of the chains, in order to free myself. When that doesn't work, and I realize I have little to no strength to free myself I try at my powers. Underneath my skin I can see the faint flutter of orange in my veins. But it never raises to the surface, and while I can feel my hair begin to burn to white at the roots, my powers never push through. I'm passed my limits. HYDRA has me exactly where they want me.

Just the thought of returning to my cell closes my throat up, and I thrash my head back, in hopes of slamming my skull against the wall and splitting my head. But I'm met with my pillow and the mattress, so I try again and again, awaiting the finally blow that will turn my minor headache into a lethal strike.

The light turns on and I scream.

"Lila, sweetie, calm down." I hear Laura's voice and I shy from the woman's voice.

She's just an actor. She has to be. There's no way that Laura is here with me right now. She can't be here. There's no way.

I scream when I feel the touch of a person's skin brushes against my cheek. "Get off of me..!" I screech and trash from the agent's hands.

The woman's voice comes from the foot of my bed, now, instead of at my side. "Lila, breath. Breath with me, okay? It's me. Really. Truly. I'm your mom."

"No..," I shake my head, furrowing my eyebrows trying to drown out the sounds of deception. "No. You're trying to.. you're trying to get in my head..," I cry, sniffing through my tears. I shove my face into my pillow, swallowing the tight knot that has formed in the back of my throat. "When will you finally stop breaking me..?" My voice cracks as I feel my heart break.

"Lila," I hear the woman's voice sooth, then I feel the undeniable stroke of my mother's hand across the top of my head. She presses her lips against my head and sighs, I feel a tear drop from her cheek, "it's me. I'm here, I'm really here. No tricks."

"No tricks," I repeat her words, sighing as she sits on the hospital bed beside me, her legs crossed and she pulls me into her chest. I inhale her scent. She's the real thing. I'm sure of it. The body heat radiation she has is identical to her own. She squeezes me into a tight hug and I grin into her body, "no more tricks."

•   •   •

When I start asking too many questions, questions that Laura isn't sure how to answer, she sends Uncle Tony and Aunt Nat in. They both look like shit.