CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN: TAKE CARE OF HER

The minute we got inside of Eddie's office building I could tell he was on edge

The minute we got inside of Eddie's office building I could tell he was on edge. From the way he slyly slipped into the elevator and continued to pound the close button, even though one woman clearly - and loudly - pleaded for him to, "hold the elevator..!" It started the second we left the parking garage and his eyes lingered on a certain silver car. When we got upstairs he practically pushed Aunt Nat and I into his office, but I was occupied by the large tank of fish in the lobby. They were so colorful and swimming so peacefully, I tried to image the stress-free life of a fish. I even tapped the glass a few times. My imagination was cut short when Eddie grabbed my arm, tugging me into his office, which was down the hall.

"Hey..!" I hissed and glared at him once I yanked my arm from his grasp, "what the hell is wrong with you?"

"Annie is here," he finally told me once he shuts his office door. I make sure to look at him for an extra beat, to confirm he isn't lying and trying to figure out if he truly answered my question.

"Who's Annie?" I ask, crossing my arms, and wondering why this Annie girl would cause him to act like he was to be caught doing something he shouldn't be doing.

"His ex," Aunt Nat infers, her eyes on a picture that was on the wall, her eyes cut to Eddie, "where's the file?"

He presses his lips together, he's silent for a moment. I can tell he was about to say something, but Venom tells him to say otherwise. Eddie shakes his head, "check the filing cabinet, it'll be the last drawer and"-

A knock on the door followed by a woman's voice who asked, "Eddie..?" She tried to open the locker door.

Eddie awkwardly chuckled. I could just imagine Venom smirking, "busted", in the back of Eddie's head. "Oh, Annie? Hey, what- what're you doing here?"

"Uh, we said we would go out to lunch. Remember, last week?" Her voice sounds closer to the door, she tries at the locker door again. "Is everything alright?"

He looks at the door, I look at Aunt Nat who is nose deep in the bottom file cabinet. He's not moving, and I can tell he's listening to Venom, so I take it upon myself to walk over to the door, unlock it. I swing it open right as Annie goes to knock again. Her fist is inches from my face. She's the girl from the pictures that are face down in Eddie's apartment, she's pretty, and has kind eyes. "Oh," she pulls her small fist away, "hello."

"Hi." I tell her, and continue to stand in her way.

I can tell she feels awkward from the way she presses her lips together, to the way her eyes go from Eddie to me. Then, finally to Aunt Nat who shuts the filing cabinet loudly. "Who.. are these two?"

"We're friends," Aunt Nat explains, I turn around to watch her tuck a pale yellow file folder under her arm just in time.

Annie isn't as gullible as I expected her to be. She narrows her eyes, "I know all of Eddie's friends."