CHAPTER NINETEEN

CHAPTER NINETEEN: THE SAND MAN

Everything high school related felt trivial after facing death for what felt like the numerous time in my life

Everything high school related felt trivial after facing death for what felt like the numerous time in my life. I had faced death before, but when it came to this time around the death block, things felt different. This time when I almost died it wasn't because of rules or money or HYDRA, this was emotional. This was personal. But now, sitting in the back of my language arts class, I realize that I have spent a majority of my life either holding the gun, or being on the other side. It might have been the best way to grow up, but I know that each of those missions put me where I was in this very moment. Everything happened for a reason. And although I could never realize it before, I was grateful for each of those dreadful days in HYDRA if it meant being where I was now.

"So you never get cold?" MJ asks beside me, blowing on her shivering hands.

I smirk at her, "I don't, really. Are you cold right now?"

"Lila, it's like fifty degrees out here!" MJ informs me and I roll my eyes at her dramatics before wrapping my arms around her. We were standing in line awaiting the famous hot chocolate she, along with what looks like every other New Yorker, had been raving about since the first chill that hit the air last week. It was our lunch period, which while it was only forty-five minutes long, MJ convinced me we had enough time to hop on the train, rush over to Rocket Coffee and order their hot chocolate that had everyone was head over heels for. Ned convinced me by promising it would be the best hot chocolate I've ever had, he had practically pushed us onto the train when I told him I had never had hot chocolate before.

I drop my arms from around MJ, and tuck my hair into the hood of my jacket before tugging it over my head, "how much time do we have left?"

"Enough," MJ shivers, looking over her shoulder. "It has got to be a crime for it to be this cold outside," she continued to shiver, holding her arms around herself.

I tsk, before wrapping my arms around her again and mumble, "don't freak out," before warming my limbs just enough to keep MJ warm, but not enough to burn her.

At first feeling of the heat I radiated, MJ gasps sharply before sighing and almost jumping up and down with glee. "Oh my gosh, Lila you are the best. I hate being cold. Ugh, thank you so much."

My eyes glance at the man who eyes MJ's reaction for a little too long, I make sure to lower my voice when I tell her, "you're welcome, MJ. Now try and control yourself before we get inside."

MJ hums a response but I can tell she's too wrapped up inside the makeshift warm cocoon I've created for her. While we continue to move up in the line, she's still wrapped in my arms, when she asks, "what was it like? Growing up with HYDRA, I mean." When I don't respond at first she raises her head to take in my expression, "you don't have to answer. If it's too weird."