CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX: BIG MISTAKE!

Over my shoulder I see Peter pacing

Over my shoulder I see Peter pacing. Which is never good because I know whenever he's pacing, that means he's trying to think his way out of something. I also know that he's been trying to come up with the final touches of his Halloween costume, the costume that pairs with my sworn enemy. The whole costume debacle had taken up so much capacity in his brain he hadn't been bothering me, so I'd gotten a lot of homework done. Given that's why I was at his apartment in the first place, that, and we had just finished monitoring the city not too long ago. The sun had just gone down, and Uncle Tony had asked me to be home by eight. I still had a few moments with Peter to spare.

Peter finally stops pacing and sucks in a deep breath of air before quickly pleading, "Li, I need you to do me a huge favor for Liz's party tomorrow."

I glance up from the poem I should be annotating, in hopes of tying together why Peter has such desperation in his voice. He had sounded like this once before. Not too long ago Liz had a party and he asked me to be a designated driver, which I thought meant I would be in charge of directions, but it meant I had to drive him home because he had too much alcohol to drink. But I swore to him I wouldn't drive him on the back of Ninja again, so instead, a very drunk Peter, a sober Ned, and annoyed Lila took the train, at two o'clock in the morning, back to Peter's apartment. Not an ideal night. "No way," I shake my head at him, getting ahead of his pleads. "I am not being your designated driver."

"What?" His face shrinks with confusion before he pushes the thought away, in hopes of staying on the task at hand. "No, no, I need you to wear the suit to the party."

I sit up a little straighter from where I'm sitting on his top bunk, confused, but intrigued. "Why do you need me to be Comet for the party?" I tried to connect the dots. I went with the only logical explanation, "because it's a costume party? I already have a costume Peter, I didn't want to be Comet, that would be pretty stupid." And ironic.

"No, not your suit," he explains, "my suit."

"What!?"

He sighs, walking over to the bunk bed, his feet stand on the bottom bunk, his hands grip the railing of the top bunk. There's little space between my head and his. I can see the pleading look in his eye that makes me want to say yes and only yes to him. "Look, Liz really wants Spider-Man to show up to the party and"-

At the sound of her name I roll my eyes and push myself far from his hypnotic gaze. "No! Tell her no!" I tell Peter as I pack up my homework, but pause from stuffing the last book I had on his top bunk in my backpack to bitterly ask him, "she does know what that word means, right?" I needed to make sure.

Peter groans, hopping from off the bed once he sees I'm up and moving. I hop off the top bunk as he tried to convince me to think otherwise, "Li, please. Do it for me. I'll owe you!" He thinks for a moment, then gives me an offer I can't refuse. "We can watch all four Jaws movies!"