CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: UNDER PRESSURE

Slowly, the sun began to peak through the winter skies above the city just as I approached Ned's home

Slowly, the sun began to peak through the winter skies above the city just as I approached Ned's home. I parked Ninja in front of his house, then honk the horn twice. From inside I hear one of Ned's dads yell, "your friend is outside!"

I hear Ned's muffle response get cut off by the blare of my horn again. Shortly after he emerges from the front door, a pep in his step as he grins at me while he skips down his front porch. "Lila..!" He hisses excitedly, and before I know it he sprints to me only to stop when he wraps his arms around me. "I missed you so much."

I chuckle as I hug him back and pull away, "Ned it's been like.. four days since I last saw you."

"That was before you and Peter..!" He raises an eyebrow before wiggling them playfully at me. "He told me everything. About the kiss, then the bad stuff, but then the kissing again and- and he just told me about your date! Oh my gosh..!" He squeals excitedly as he jumps up and down with energy I didn't know a teenager could possess so early in the morning.

I gasp, trying to take a deep breath. "Ned..! Calm down, calm down," I plead as I pry myself from out of his arms, fighting the grin on my face. "It's not that big of a deal, okay?"

"Not that big of a deal?" Ned repeats, raising an annoyed eyebrow. "You two finally kissed and talked about.. about well.. the two of you!"

I bite the inside of my cheek, huffing with annoyance as we walk down his front steps. "I hope you get over this soon. It won't be the first time we've kissed and probably not the last."

Simply saying it makes my cheeks brighten with embarrassment. To which Ned quickly points out with the quick of his teasingly direct finger, "look! You're blushing, Lila..!"

"Shut up and get on Ninja," I tell him gesturing to the back of Ninja.

We ride the short distance from Ned's place to school. For the most part the two of us chat the entire ride. The two of us just didn't chat about my breakthrough with Peter, instead we also talked about school, Stranger Things, he suggested foods I should try, places we "most definitely" needed to go and see. But the moment I parked Ninja and Ned's phone rang we both finally stopped. I made sure to stay a block away from school grounds, with respect of my restraining order. "Yeah, I'm here. Down the street. Hah, funny," Ned chuckles when he turns bro me, "I'm with her now, ironically. On fourth, no- fourth, Peter."

My heart jumps when I hear his name, sucking air through my nose sharply. "You're- Uh, Peter is on his way here?"

The answer to my question is justified by the familiar whip of a familiar hero's web. I turn without thinking, glancing over my shoulder to see Peter's bright figure emerge from a nearby alley. He jogs over to the two of us, and grins at Ned when he approaches, "Hey Ned."