CHAPTER THIRTY

CHAPTER THIRTY: AFTER SCHOOL SPECIAL

Shortly after I arrived back to school, I caught ahold of Jessica in the hallway

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Shortly after I arrived back to school, I caught ahold of Jessica in the hallway. She was pulling her hair back into a ponytail, her eyes focused on the floor tiles that were beneath her feet. Her pace matched the other eager students that were racing towards their freedom, unlike the students who were taking dreadful steps towards the classrooms that held detention. Jessica walks right passed me, headed towards the doors. I gasp, catching her attention and holding her arm. "Jessica! Please tell me you haven't turned in your report"-

The moment she recognizes it's me who's speaking, she shakes her head and gestures wildly with her arms. "Lila! Where the hell have you been?" She pulls her arms from out of mine to hold her hands to her forehead. "You can't just disappear like that. You have responsibilities! The least you could do is give me a heads up before you fall off the face of the Earth."

"Jessica," I say her name calmly to keep from amplifying the chaotic look in her eyes. "Have you or have you not turned in your report?" It was the only reason I came back to school. She wasn't answering her phone and I had spun the perfect excuse for why I fled the mall with no warning. Uncle Tony needed me, plain and simple. And the moment she started asking questions I'd tell her it's confidential.

She gestures back towards the front office, "I just turned it in. And while I was in there"-

"What did you write, Jessica!?" I couldn't understand how she didn't realize the severity of the situation. One wrong report and I'd be thrown out of school. And today was chaotic. We had gone from ditching class to loosing one another in the mall and I had gotten my ass kicked by some psycho in a green mask.

She pauses from attempting to finish her sentence to explain, "Lila, don't worry. I wrote that you and MJ helped out all day with buying decorations for Student Council. I even said your Uncle helped, which is why he called us out for the day. Principal Lee didn't suspect a thing, actually he was caught up in the fact that he thought your Uncle is coming to our dance."

I shake my head, "what!?"

She presses her lips together, a look of regret in her eyes, "yeah, I sort of.. told Principal Lee that Tony Stark is coming to our winter formal. He- he just kept asking so many questions that I panicked! I'm sorry Lila."

I run my hands down my face as the last of the students clear from the hallways, rushing passed me, leaving Jessica and I the only students remaining in the now quieter halls. "It's fine," I tell her through gritted teeth. In all honesty I was mostly annoyed with myself for coming all the way back to school when there was no real reason to panic. I turn to walk through the doors, and Jessica follows close behind with a bashful pep in her step.