CHAPTER TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE: THE RED ZONE

Richard Parker tried to expose HYDRA, and attempted to stop selling weapons the day of his son's birthday three years ago

Richard Parker tried to expose HYDRA, and attempted to stop selling weapons the day of his son's birthday three years ago. He, in other terms, gave a big middle finger to HYDRA when we asked him to double the rate he was writing up blueprints for weapons. We asked his wife to manufacture the weapons faster. They said no said no. And no one says no to HYDRA and survives. I make sure of it.

FIVE YEARS AGO

It was my first mission in The Red Zone. Statistically I was to be flawless, the perfect soldier, but, little did I or the agent's awaiting to hear the success of my mission know that would be the first and only time my mission be deemed unsuccessful.

The Parkers live in a small apartment building, right outside of Queens, New York. I arrive at the apartment at approximately one o'clock in the afternoon. Across the street, I spy the apartment, and on the third level I see Richard and Mary Parker's hurried shadows rush across each open window. Third floor, apartment C, according to the note in my back pocket indicates. I jog across the street, and slip into the apartment building just as someone is leaving. I find the stairway easily, and go up the three floors until I'm walking down the hallway to the third apartment down the hallway.

I pull the note from out of my pocket, triple checking that I'm at the correct apartment before I tug a bobby pin from my cool brown hair and pick the locked apartment door. Once I hear the satisfying click of the now unlocked door, I pull my mask over the lower part of my face, and slowly push the door open. I can hear Richard and Mary's voice as I slip inside. The two are arguing over what to pack and what to keep. There's music playing from the room next door. I crouch down and ease the front door shut.

The kitchen is to my right, so I sneak in and go to their gaslit stove. My hands are quick as I turn all four knobs of the gas on, letting the substance diffuse throughout the apartment.

In the meantime, I sneak back into the living room, taking one of the throw pillows into my hands and igniting a flame to the soft material. I toss the now burning pillow onto the floor, and glare at the curtains across the room, igniting them into a fiery dance.

"He's hiding?" I hear Mary's frustrated voice, and the pause of Richard's movements. "Well, go find him.. Richard, do you smell gas?"

Her suspicions are confirmed by the explosion the moment the flames hit the glass. The wall crumbles, the couch I'm under is ignited, as well as the rest of the apartment. Even my shirt catches fire, until I'm soon squatting in a now fire explosion. I stand, patting the flames off my now charred shirt and go into the next room to examine the damage. I see Mary's feet that stick out from the other side of the burning bed.

I grab her ankles and pull her away from the debris. A piece of wood is pierced into the side of her neck, and blood is slowly pouring down her neck and onto the ground. She's also popped a blood socket in her left eye, she's looking to me, and around the room. She's confused but there's one thing she understands: Fear.