CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR: MELTDOWN

No. This cannot be happening.

I drive straight back to the complex the second I drop MJ off at her house. She walks up to the door, and I stay on the sidewalk, my focus fixated on the cracks of the street. I needed to tie up loose ends, to fill in empty holes. This was a shitstorm, and I needed sunny skies. I knew I couldn't kill Liz, Peter would never let me hear the end of it. But maybe I could threaten-

"You sure you're okay?" MJ asks one more time, pausing from opening her front door, "because you look sick. I mean the bad kind of sick, like you're going to vomit any second."

I finally look up, "I'm fine." When I see her face, I remember the harsh way I spoke to her not too long ago, when we had left the coffee shop. "And.. it wasn't right for me... to talk to you like that earlier, at the coffee shop."

She lowers her keys from the door, "was that an apology?"

"No," I tell her, although I can see the way she smiles she knows what I mean. "See ya, MJ."

"See ya, Lila," she exhales pushing the door open and going into her house.

I make sure I'm a block down the street before pulling Ninja from my pocket and growing her back to normal size. I race through the streets, zooming through cars on the high way and speeding through all the yellow lights that blink to red. Within a new range of record, I'm at the complex.

When I get upstairs, I hear Pepper in the shower, and Uncle Tony no where to be found. I go to the kitchen, nothing. Then I poke my head into the living room. Empty. When I near my room, I see Happy walking out of the guest room. He's looking at his iPad, not looking up and seeing me approach him. He jumps when I ask, "where's Uncle Tony?"

Happy yelps, jolting and dropping the iPad from his hands. I catch it before it can hit the floor and shatter. He exhales slowly, taking the iPad from me, "nice catch, Kid."

"Uncle Tony..?" I press on again, "where is he at?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"Right," Happy straightens his black tie, "Boss is in the basement. Working on some suits, you know, hey, you okay..!?" He yells to me as I sprint down the hall the second I hear of Uncle Tony's current location. "Because, you know, you don't look okay!"

"I'm fine!" I call back to Happy, even though I'm anything but.

Happy was right, Uncle Tony is in the basement, and he's working on a new suit for himself. From the speakers some rock song is playing, a tune I'm not familiar with, but the second I exit from the elevator the volume lowers and Uncle Tony grins, "welcome back home, Rugrat."

I ignore the new nickname. "Hey, uh Uncle Tony I gotta ask you something."

He peels off the high tech gloves from off his hands, turning to me with a shit eating grin, "let me guess, you wanna spend the night at one of your new friend's house?" He sets the gloves on the counter, and the blue prints fade away.