CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN: LILA'S SHADOW

I get to school on Monday earlier than Peter and Ned

I get to school on Monday earlier than Peter and Ned. Happy drops me off right as the sun begins to peak through the city. I'm sitting in the front of the car, my backpack over my right shoulder, my arms at my side. The moment Happy parks he reaches back and hands me a metal lunchbox, "Boss wanted me to give you this, said he thought you might like it." I stare down at the square metal box that has an animated drawing of Spider-Man that I've seen around the city. My cheeks blaze to red and I glare at Happy who informs, "I made you a lunch. There's a salad in there, lots of snacks to keep you energized."

I scoff, pulling my backpack over my shoulder and attempt to squish my new metal lunch box in the bag along with my endless stacks of homework. "Thanks, Happy. And for driving me." I give up trying to place my lunch box inside my bag and end up keeping it firmly gripped in my hand.

Before he unlocks the door he inclines his head with suspicion, "remind me again why am I dropping you off so early? You didn't get into more trouble, did you?" A look of worry and mild disappointment crosses his face.

"I'm not in trouble, Happy," I tell him pulling my backpack over my shoulder once more, "the principal just wants me to come in early so we can go over a few rules him and Uncle Tony discussed so I could come back to school. It's nothing serious." Or at least I hoped it was nothing serious. Uncle Tony had called me yesterday night once I got back from Peter's to tell me I had to meet with the Principal at seven in the morning. When I asked why, he told me not to worry, that it was nothing serious.

I open the car door, "and you don't need me to pick you up after school?" Happy asks me once again for clarification. "I have to take the train into Boston this afternoon for a meeting. I- I can put it off if you need me to."

"Happy, I'm more than capable than staying by myself in the complex again. I've done it a million times before, don't worry," I step out of the car, as Happy rolls down the window.

He leans forward in his seat so I can see his face, "I always have my phone on me. So I'm just a call away if anything happens or if you get too scared, I can"-

"Happy," I stop his blubbering, then promise him, "I'll see you later."

"Okay," he takes a deep breath and starts his car up again, "have a great day at school. Text me when you get to the complex so I know you're okay!" He yells as I walk up the steps into the school.

I wave over my shoulder, "bye Happy," and to prevent the conversation from being any longer, I walk through the front doors of the school.

The hallways are quiet, far more quiet than I have ever heard in the past since attending the school. In the front office, I can see the front desk lady speaking to someone on the phone, and when I walk into the office, she gestures to me to go into Principal Lee's office. Inside he's sitting at his desk across from a girl that looks a little too familiar. I walk inside and look at Principal Lee, "my uncle told me you wanted to meet with me?" My eyes go to the girl who's now staring at me, before looking back at Principal Lee.