(17) Not That Experienced

ᴇʟᴇᴍᴇɴᴛᴀʟ

✸✸✸

AVENGERS FACILITY

Vierra found herself watching Wanda go through the same thing she had just weeks before. "What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeria?" Vierra made a grabbing motion, and the tv's cord ripped from its plug.

"It's my fault."

"That's not true." Wanda turned to Vierra "Turn the tv back on, they're being very specific." Vierra slowly stepped over to the girl. "Believe me, I understand what you're going through, Wanda, but it's not your fault. Everyone makes mistakes, even Captain America himself." She sat down next to Wanda.

"I should've helped more instead of standing there, and waiting for instructions. People died, that's on me." Wanda looked down "It's on both of us." Vierra blew out a heavy sigh "I'm not very good at pep talks, but I'll do the best I can. This job... We try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But, if we can't find a way to live with that... then next time... maybe nobody gets saved."

Vision phased through the wall surprising both of the teen girls. "Vis! We talked about this."

"Yes, but the door was opened, so I assumed that... Ms. Vierra wished to know when Mr. Stark was arriving." Vierra nodded "Thank you, we'll be right down." The android pointed to the open door "I'll use the door. Oh, and apparently he's brought a guest."

"Do we know who it is?"

"The Secretary of State."

Vierra turned back to Wanda with sad eyes "I sure do love our depressing chats." Wanda chuckled softly "I do, as well."

✷𑁍✷

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my backswing." Howard made a golfing gesture with his hands.

"Turned out, it was the best round of my life because after the 13 hours of surgery, and the triple bypass, I found something forty years in the army never that, perspective. The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives, but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some who would prefer the word vigilantes."

"And, What word would you us, Mr. Secretary?" The man turned to Vierra, and Wanda who were sitting next to each other, "How about dangerous? What would you call a group of US based enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders, and inflict their will wherever they choose? And, who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind."

The secretary took some steps back before clicking a button, and the PowerPoint showed footage of the events of New York. "New York. Washington DC." More footage of the Avengers failures played on the screen.

Vierra looked down to find Natasha holding her hand, possibly trying to console the young girl, but also quite possibly needing to console herself. "Sokovia." The Avengers watched as the rock lifted up. A picture of Pietro flashed over the screen, and this time, it was Vierra's turn to comfort as she grabbed Wanda's hand.

Wanda looked over, and Vierra gave her a reassuring nod causing the girl to smile sadly. "Lagos." The screen showed pictures of the dead Wakandans, and Wanda looked down. "Okay. That's enough." Steve decided noticing the Maximoff's actions.

The secretary didn't seem to get it though, so Vierra made a grabbing motion with her hand, and the cord ripped from the plug. She wasn't necessarily proving the man wrong, but Wanda was clearly hurting.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power, and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate, but I think we have a solution." The secretary slid a book over to Vierra. "Sokovia accords. Approved by a 117 countries." Vierra passed it down to Wanda who soon after, slid it across the table to Rhodey.

"It states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel." Vierra rolled her eyes "I don't take order from anyone outside of this team, my dad told me to only trust them." The secretary ignored the young Asgardian. "Only when, and if that panel deems it necessary."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Vierra nodded to Steve. "Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor, and Banner are right now?" Vierra spoke up next "I don't know where Banner is, but my dad went back to Asgard to find the identity of my mother. Not that it's any of your business." She mumbled the last part just loud enough for Valerie to catch with her enhanced hearing.

"If I misplaced a couple of megaton nukes, you can bet there'd be consequences." Vierra's eyes morphed into a chilling gold "Don't compare my father to one of your earthly weapons."

The secretary cocked an eyebrow at the girl, and she quickly blinked away the gold. She hated it when people talked illy of her father. "Sorry."

"Compromise, reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground." Rhodey raised his hand "So, there are contingencies."

"Three day's from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the accords." Steve turned to Tony who was staring at his phone. The Stark momentarily glanced up to Captain before looking back down at his cellular device. "Talk it over." The Secretary was walking out, when Natasha spoke up, "And, if we come to a decision you don't like?"

"Then you retire."