(19) The Funeral

ᴇʟᴇᴍᴇɴᴛᴀʟ

✸✸✸

(This one is about Valerie)
LONDON

Valerie didn't know why Steve wanted her to come to the funeral. His reasoning was she was his most reliable friend other than Sam who was sitting next to her.

Valerie shook off the feeling when she watched Steve carry Peggy's tomb down the main hall of the cathedral. For some reason, she began to think of Bucky again, she had been having a lot of dreams about him lately. Whatever Wanda did, it actually ended up helping her get memories.

Bucky had promised her a family, but what if he can't even remember that? "And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up, and say a few words." Steve walked back, and sat in between his friends.

Valerie captured her bottom lip in between in her teeth. Sharon Carter was in love with Steve Rogers, and the only person whom couldn't tell, was Steve himself. Valerie wasn't necessarily jealous of the woman, she had mostly moved on from her crush on Steve, but she never really liked Sharon, and Sharon definitely knew that.

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of S.H.I.E.L.D., but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy. She had a photograph in her office, Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool, but it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related. I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy, and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. She said, compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is right. Even if the whole word is telling you to move... it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye, and say 'No, you move'."

✷𑁍✷

Valerie sat in a different spot now waiting for Steve to be done brooding, not that she blamed him. Natasha walked up, and Valerie stood up heading over to her, Steve following soon after.

"When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone." Steve explained, "Then I found out she was alive, I was just lucky to have her."

"She has you back, too." Natasha smiled softly at the hundred year old captain when Steve asked a question both Valerie, and him had been thinking. "Who else signed?"

"Tony, Rhodey, Vision." "Clint?" Natasha smacked her lips "Says he's retired." "What about Wanda, and Vierra." Natasha smirked "TBD."

"How is Vierra doing?" Valerie had been worrying about leaving the girl without an explanation Vierra had a type of abandonment issues like no other. "Well, she started a snow storm with at least a  ten mile radius around the Avengers facility, but once Wanda calmed her down, we explained the situation."

"Wanda?" The redhead nodded to Steve " You  hadn't noticed how close the two had become? Tony thinks it because they're the world's most powerful teenagers, but personally, I think it's because they bond on someone they both lost."

"Pietro."

"Neither of them talk about him, but they definitely miss him." Valerie nodded, she knew Vierra was lying when she said she was fine. She just wanted to give the girl some personal space, so she could grieve. "I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There's plenty of room on the jet." Valerie turned to Steve waiting for his decision, she had an inhuman amount of loyalty to her friends especially Steve.

"Just because it's the path of least resistance, doesn't mean it's the wrong path." Nat tried to persuade. "Staying together is more important than how we stay together."

"What are we giving up do it?" Well, there was Valerie's answer, Steve would not be changing his mind. "I'm sorry, Nat. I can't sign it."

"I know... and, I know Valerie's gonna stay with you."

"Then, What are you doing here?"

Natasha gulped "I wanted you to know you had another friend." Steve pulled his head back surprised by the comment when Natasha pulled him into a hug. They both pulled away, and turned to Valerie "Come here." Valerie was added to their big group hug, all laughing like teenagers.

✷𑁍✷

Steve agreed to walk Sharon back to her room, so Valerie went to theirs watching the new with Sam, and it was nothing good. "We have to tell Steve." Sam nodded turning to the girl lounging on the couch "Agreed."

"Thanks for walking me back." Valerie, and Sam waited for their conversation to be over as the two stood there awkwardly. "Sure." They gazed at each other for a while longer before Sam decided it was time to speak up. "Steve." The two turned to Valerie, and Sam, "There's something you gotta see."

The four were back upstairs watching as the news played footage of Bucky Barnes blowing up the building in Vienna where they were to sign the accords. "A bomb hidden in a news van ripped through a UN building in Vienna." Valerie tried to block out Sharon's conversation on the phone watching the tv intently.

HYDRA had to be controlling Bucky. Valerie only had, so many memories of the Winter Soldier, but there was no way he did this willingly.

"More than 70 people had been injured. At least 12 are dead, including Wakanda's King T'Chaka. Officials have released a video of the suspect..." a video of Bucky in a jacket passed by one of the news vans "Who they have identified as James Buchanan Barnes, the Winter Soldier. The infamous HYDRA agent linked to numerous acts of terrorism, and political assassinations." Sharon stepped in between Sam, and Steve who were standing behind the couch Valerie was once again, sitting on. "I have to go to work."

✷𑁍✷

Valerie, Sam, and Steve were close, but they knew to stay far enough from the UN building, which was why Sam, and Valerie sat at the bar of a cafe a block down from the building, both clad in sunglasses, and a baseball cap.

Steve sat down next to Sam, him also wearing the three's ridiculous excuse for a disguise. "Did she tell you to stay out of it?" Steve stayed quiet answering the question for Sam "She might have a point."

"He'd do it for me."

"1945, maybe. I just want to make sure we consider all of our options." Valerie gulped down some of her green tea "The people that shoot at you, usually wind up shooting at Val, and I." Before steve could reply, Sharon took a stand next to Valerie.

"Tips have been pouring in since that footage went public. Everybody thinks the Winter Soldier goes to their gym. Most of its noise, except for this." Sharon handed he paper to Valerie who passed it along to Steve. "My boss expects a briefing pretty much now... so that's all the head start you're gonna get."

"Thank you."

"You're gonna have to hurry. We have orders to shoot on sight." Steve slipped open the file to find a picture of Bucky in some place called Bucharest. "I'm going with you guys." Steve shook his head "You should go back to the Avengers tower, I don't want you involved in this."

"Steve I'm going." "I don't think you should, Valerie." The said girl stabbed her fork into the bar before fully turning to Steve, "I have to go because I need to know if he remembers me." Steve gulped "And-And if he does, maybe-just maybe, he can help me get my memories back too."

"Fine."