(18) The Avengers "Decide"

ᴇʟᴇᴍᴇɴᴛᴀʟ

✸✸✸

Vierra couldn't believe this. She only agreed to becoming Avenger because her father enjoyed humans. Now, they had the nerve to call her a threat to society. The young Asgardian girl watched Steve read the accords curiously. She wondered what his choice would be.

"Secretary Ross has a congressional Medal of Honor which is one more than you have."

"So, let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals." The Avengers had been listening to Sam, and Rhodey bickering for the past ten minutes.

"117 countries want to sign this. 117, Sam, and you're just like 'Nah, it's cool'."

"How long are you gonna play both sides?"

"I have an equation," Vision declared. "Oh, this will clear it up."

"In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced, persons has grown exponentially, and during the same period, a number of potentially world ending events has risen at a commensurate rate."

"Are you saying these things are our fault?" Vierra turned back to Vision waiting for his reply. "I'm saying, there may be a causality. Our very strength, invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict, conflict breeds catastrophe, oversight. Oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand."

Vierra leant forward to the android sitting across from her. "Has anyone ever told you, you had a relaxing voice?" Vision furrowed his eyebrows at the compliment, but before he could say anything, Rhodey started up again.

"Boom."

"Tony, you are being uncharacteristically non hyper-verbal." "That's cause he's already made up his mind." Steve told Natasha.

"Boy, you know me, so well. Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache." Tony walked into the Avengers kitchen "That's what's going on, Cap. It's just pain, it's discomfort. Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed&breakfast for a biker gang?"

Tony placed his phone on the bar before pressing a button. A picture of young black male popped up, and Tony stayed quiet for a moment before speaking up, "Oh, that's Charles Spencer by the way. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA. Had a floor-level gig, and intel plan for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul before he parked it behind a desk. See the world, maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go Vegas, or Fort Lauderdale which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris, or Amsterdam, sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor, guess where?"

Vierra gulped "Sokovia." Tony replied to himself "He wanted to make a difference I supposed, we wouldn't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking a**." Vierra shook her head.

We got all of them out, how is that possible?

Tony took a sip of the drink he had been concocting. "There's no decision-making process here. We need to be put in check, whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, were bound realists, we're no better than the bad guys."

"Tony, if someone dies on your watch, you don't give up."

"Who said we're giving up?" Valerie spoke next "We are if  we're not taking responsibility for our actions, this document just shifts the blame." Even after their little moment of Valerie technically ending it with Steve, they were still close friends.

"Sorry, Valerie. That-That is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the world Security Council, it's not SHIELD, it's not HYDRA—" Steve cut Rhodey off when he noticed Valerie's discomfort of the name of the place that had experimented on her.

"No, but it's run by people with agendas. Agendas change."

"That's good. That's why I'm here. When I realized what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands, I shut it down, stopped manufacturing."

"Tony, you chose to do that. If we sign this, we surrender our right to choose." At least now Vierra knew Steve's opinion on the matter. "What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there's somewhere we need to go, and they don't let us? We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own."

"If we don't do this now, it's gonna be done to us later. That's a fact, that won't be pretty."

"You're saying they'll come for me." Wanda stated.

"We will protect you," Vierra nodded "With my life." She felt she at least owed Wanda that much considering her brother had died for her. "Maybe Tony's right." Everyone turned to Natasha surprised "If we have one hand on the wheel, we can still steer."

"Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her a** a few years ago?"

"I'm just... reading the terrain. We have made some very public mistakes, we need to win their trust back." "Okay, So, I'm sorry. Did I just miss hear you, or did you agree with me?"

"Oh, I'm gonna take it back."

"No, no, no. You can't retract it, thank you. Okay, case closed, I win." Valerie turned back to Steve to find him staring at his phone, he showed the message to her, and the Banshee gulped.

She's gone.
In her sleep.

They were talking about Peggy. "I have to go." He stood up dropping the accords onto the table before turning to Valerie "Will you come with me?" She nodded, and Vierra stood up too ready to follow after them, but Valerie shook her head. The young Asgardian nodded plopping back down next to Wanda.