Chapter Twenty Five

Max POV

The torture went on for hours, I wanted to sleep forever. My father was ruthless, he would cut me, burn me and so much more. My mind was a haze of nothing and pain.

I wake up to a loud and rapid beeping coming from beside me. I groan and a pinch in my hand makes it twitch in pain. I wake up more as the pain becomes worse. My eyes fly open as I sit up and gasp for air, as I do pain spreads like fire across my chest and stomach. I whimper and lay back down exhausted. I close my eyes and try to catch my breath.

"Hey, Max. Are you ok?" Someone voices out beside me, effectively scaring the shit out of me. No-one knows my real name besides my disgusting father, my old gang and someone that works in a medical profession or a police officer.

I open my eyes when someone clears their throat. I am face to face with someone with a white coat and stethoscope hanging around their neck. A doctor. "Are you ok?" The doctor asks, I nod my head. "What happened?" I croak out, he hands me a glass of water. "You don't remember? Well, you were brought here by an ambulance, you have large lacerations across your chest and stomach." After the doctor finishes speaking all the memories of my father cutting me in the ally way return, I shiver.

"How long have I been here for?" "You have been in here for four days. You were taking a while to wake up and Sean started to get worried, I came in to try and wake you up but you were sweating and thrashing in your sleep so I gave you an injection to wake you up from the nightmare."

"Thanks for that, I really didn't want to stay there any longer," I responded with a sigh. If the doctor knew Sean, it probably better to be nice to him because who knows what Sean could do. The doctor, Jackson, left after doing some checkups on me. It was boring inside the hospital room but I guess this is my punishment for letting my father catch me.

The Article members arrived and startled me out of my thoughts, they all looked relieved that I was awake. They soon engaged in their own conversations. I felt guilty that I was put in the hospital because of my father and they have to pay for it, I gather up the courage and speak up. "I want to tell you guys something," they all look over to me.

Having their eyes on me makes me even more nervous. "If it is anything to do with what happened for you to be in the hospital you don't need to tell us if you're not ready," Sean spoke up, the others nodded their heads in agreement. I shake my head in denial, "no, you guys deserve to know what the reason was, after all, you are paying the hospital bills." I look down to my lap feeling guilty, an emotion I don't feel often.