Chapter Fifty-Four

Max POV

I wake up with a groan and my head slightly throbbing. I open my eyes and look around slowly, trying to gather my thoughts. I notice I'm not in the collapsed building and sigh in relief, but my thoughts quickly rush to Kyle and I sit up and look around frantically for him. My head protests at the movement, I close my eyes and place my hand gently over the spot it is throbbing. I reopen them and look next to me and breathe a sigh of relief as I spot Kyle laying on the bed next to me.

I lay back down on the bed and sigh, this just had to be my first big mission and I had to get injured again. I lay on the bed thinking about nothing, my mind a bit hazy and slow. I hear Kyle move on the bed next to mine and look over at him. Noticing he is waking up, I sit up and face him. When he coughs and opens his eyes I speak up. "How are you feeling?" He jumps slightly and looks over at me. He smiles and sits up slowly, "not too bad actually. How about you?" I chuckle, "I could be better but I could also be worse so I'm not complaining." Kyle nods his head in agreement.

"I feel like I need to move, my body feels like it has been in the same spot for days," Kyle speaks up randomly, "yeah, I agree. Let's go find the others?" He nods and we both slowly get off our beds and make our way to the door. Kyle leads the way back down towards our bedrooms, "oh god I need a shower." I speak up in disgust, my body feeling gross. Kyle laughs in response, "same here, let's go to our rooms and have a shower. I'll meet you in your room in like 20?" "Sounds good."

I make my way to my room to get a pair of clothes to change into, I then walk into the bathroom and get undressed, looking at the bruises that cover my body. The sight is so normal it doesn't faze me and I walk into the shower and turn it on, as I wait for it to warm up I think about the Article members, how close they are to each other and how they would do pretty much anything to protect each other, even disobeying orders from Sean if it meant that it would save more than themselves.

I step under into the water and start lathering myself in shower gel, trying to get the gross feeling of dried sweat and dirt and grime off my body. I would wash my hair but the large patch on my head stopping me from doing so. I step out and grab my towel, drying my body and putting on my clothes. I sigh in relief, that feels much better. New clothes and a nice clean body. I hang my towel back up and make my way out of the bathroom to my bedroom.