Chapter Thirty-Nine

Max POV

With that, I gently moved my mum off me and onto Benjamin and stormed over to the man and punched him in the face, he stumbled a few steps but didn't fall. He looked back over to me with a smirk on his face, "ahhh, you're the one she kept screaming about 'don't hurt my boy!' She used to scream that every day until I nearly made her mute."

That was the last straw for me, I hurled myself onto the man, pushing him onto the floor. Pinning his arms down with my legs I punched his face over and over again, the blood from the man slowly mixing with mine. Every punch removed skin from my knuckles making them bruised and bloody. I lost count of how many punches I threw at the man, as soon as I went to pull my knife out of my belt Steve and Kyle pulled me off the man and held me still. I wriggled trying to get them off me but they held me tightly. The man was most definitely knocked out, no doubt about that.

Sean walks in front of me blocking my vision of the man, "calm down, you need to calm down okay?" I lowered my head and tried to calm down, slowly it worked. He placed his hands on my shoulders and squeezed gently. "That's it." He praised, "I'm sorry, I messed up the whole mission." I look back up at him, he smiles. "It's okay, we can cake him back with us and when he wakes up we will find a way to get the money," he reassured.

I nod my head and Kyle and Steve release me, I walk back over to my mother and give her a hug, she rubs my back soothingly. I don't care how weak or stupid I look, I haven't seen my mother since the gang raid. Even pictures of her disappeared, my disgrace of a father burnt them all.

"I'm sorry you had to see that," I whisper "it's ok baby, I understand."

--------------------

We all made our way back to the van, my mother and the man included. Travis and Caleb put the man in the trunk gaged with his legs and wrists tied, he was still knocked out. Travis and Caleb were smirking as they were putting him in the trunk. My mother sat in the van in the chair where I sat on the way here, I sat on the floor next to her. While there was more light here, I could see how undernourished she was, it made me angrier. I clenched my fists in my lap.

"I know the mission didn't go as planned today," Kris started off, "but out of it all we got the man we wanted and we saved someone's life and reunited two people. I don't think it could have gone any better than this." He finished his little speech and everyone nodded their heads in agreement.

"You have good friends Max," my mother gently patted my shoulder. I looked up at her then around at the other members, I nod my head in agreement with her statement.