Chapter Thirty-Eight

Max POV

Benjamin and I made our way around the upper part of the house slowly and quietly. If we came into any trouble we were to press our earpiece. As we were looking through rooms I hear crying, I tap Benjamin's shoulder and point to the door where the crying was coming from. We make our way over, guns pointed in front of us.

I reach forward and grab the door handle, I look behind me to Benjamin and he nods. I push the handle down and open the door, it's pitch black. I take out my torch from my belt and shine it in the room. Over in the corner is a woman curled up in a ball crying. She looks familiar. I fumble around for the light switch and flick the lights on.

The woman flinches and tries to curl into a smaller ball. "Are you ok?" I speak out, she flinches again but looks up towards me obviously not expecting a different voice. "Who-who are y-you?" She stutters out quietly, "not friends of the person who lives here." Benjamin says, she looks around nervously. When I look closer I notice the bruises and scars on her face, arms and legs. I nudge Benjamin and motion over to her with my head, Benjamin looks confused but looks over anyway. His eyes widen as he now sees the bruises and scars.

I notice the lady staring at me, making me a bit uncomfortable at her solid unwavering stare. "Y-You look f-familiar." My eyes widen in surprise, I point at myself confused, she nods. "What's your name?" Benjamin questions, "Maddison Yom." I freeze and stare at the woman on the floor. "M-Maddison Y-Yom?" I stutter. She nods "what is your name child?" "M-Max Yom," Benjamin looked mortified that I gave out my real name to a stranger, but Maddison was my mother's name.

"M-Max?" Maddison stumbles out shocked, I nod. She stands up shakily and walks over to me, taking off my mask and hat and tenderly holds my face. "M-My baby M-Max," I nod. Now I knew why she looked familiar. She cries and pulls me into a hug, Benjamin doesn't know what to do, he just stands there with his mouth open gaping like a fish.

"I-I need to get you out of here," I whisper "I can't lose you again." My mother nods and lets me lead her out of the door. We hear a commotion coming from downstairs and follow the noise and it leads us to the rest of the gang and the man. He looks over at us and anger build in his eyes, "how dare you take her!" He yells furiously, Article turn around confused at who the man was yelling at. They are shocked when they spot Benjamin and I joined with an older woman leaning on me.

"How dare I take her?!" I yell back, "she is not your property! She is my mother and you stole her from me when I was a kid and I'm not letting you take her again!"