Chapter Twenty Eight

Max POV

I laid down in silence after I finished reading the diary entry, thinking. What woke me up out of my thoughts was the door opening downstairs and the loud voices of the Article members. The mission must have gone well.

I slowly sit up and hop off the bed and make my way down the stairs to the lounge room where the members are. Their voices are growing louder as I get closer, I can make out a bit of what they are saying. "That was a close one!" Someone yells I hear voices agreeing. As soon as I walk into the room everyone turns and looks at me, they stop talking, their stares making me uncomfortable. I stop walking and shuffle awkwardly on the spot. I want to ask how the mission went but I don't feel like I was part of the group long enough to ask those types of questions and gather that information.

I turned around and walked back up the stairs and into my room, no-one said anything as I left. I grabbed some sweat pants and a t-shirt and walked to the bathroom that Xavier and I share. I turned the water on and while I waited for it to warm up I took off my clothes and unwrapped the bandages. I didn't want them to get wet and I wanted to clean around the stitches as well.

I hop into the shower and the warm water washes over my legs as I lean back not wanting to get the stitches wet. I wet a cloth and dab it over my stitches, wincing when I press down too hard.

--------------------

The halls were eerily quiet as I walked back to my bedroom, it made me quite uncomfortable. I got to my room and immediately hopped into bed. My back faced the door as I looked at the wall my bed was pressed against. It took me ages before I was actually sleepy but as I was about to fall asleep the door creaking open and footsteps shuffling in the room, moving towards me, woke me out of my sleepy state. I tried not to stiffen up as I wanted to act like I was asleep. The footsteps got closer and closer, I sigh and roll over. The footsteps stop.

After a few seconds of me 'sleeping,' they walk closer. I groan and kick the covers off myself and curl up a little bit so I am almost in a fetal position. The footsteps yet again stop for a few seconds then walk closer. I open my eyes a little bit when they get closer so I can see who I am up against, but it is pitch black, besides the small amount of light coming from the small gap of the door which provided barely any light in the room.