Chapter Forty-Four

Max POV

Sean and I sit on the couch and wait for my mother to finish looking around. She comes out from the hallway looking quite happy. "How did you like it mum?" I ask her as Sean and I stand up from the couch, "it was very nice dear, your friend here has very nice taste." Sean smiled at her, "I'm glad you liked it."

"You two make your decision, I'll go outside and talk to Orlando." Sean smiles at us and leaves the apartment. We both sit down on the couch and face each other, "so what did you think mum?" "It's a nice apartment dear, but I'm just worried about the rent." She worriedly glances at me, I shake my head with a small smile gracing my lips. "Don't worry about that for now, I'll pay your rent until you can afford to."

She looks at me with such adoration in her eyes it almost hurts. I'll do anything to protect you. "Are you sure baby? I don't want you to strain yourself," "I lost you once and I'm not going to lose you again, I'll do anything it takes to keep you safe and happy." My mum smiles and nods her head, "okay then dear, well I guess we will see if we can rent it."

We both stand up and make our way to the door but a yell from the other side stops me from opening the door. I stand up taller and look through the peephole, Sean and Orlando are pinned against the wall with guns at their heads, any wrong move and they will be dead. I turn back around to my mum and grab her hands, "go hide somewhere, anywhere you can fit and anywhere where someone would least likely look." She gives me a look of worry but I quickly motion for her to hide, I turn around to face the door and grab the gun from my holster.

It looks like a simple robbery but there is definitely something more, "what's the password?" A gruff voice speaks from outside, "I'm not going to tell you." Orlando spits back, the gruff voice chuckles from the other side of the door. The next thing I hear is Orlando's groan of pain, I look out the peephole and the sight in front of me definitely isn't the best. There is a deep cut in Orlando's thigh and a man holding a knife to his throat. "What's the password?" He asks again, Orlando glances over to Sean, "55690." Orlando looks disappointed in himself for saying the code but a reassuring look from Sean makes him relax as much as he can in this situation.

I hear the pin being punched into the lock and quickly look for a spot to momentarily hide in. I hide in the lounge room behind the bookshelf. It's a small space but it works, there is a small gap and that I can see through. I watch the door for any movement. It clicks open.