Chapter 38: Working Together!

Penelope sat at her desk when Kevin walked in. She turned to face him. "Where's Abbey?" Penelope asked. "My dad is in town and he's watching her." Kevin replied and Penelope nodded. "How is he?" Penelope asked. "He's doing good. He has a girlfriend." Kevin replied. "Oh, really?" Penelope asked. "Yeah, they're getting married and want to marry here so I can be there." Kevin replied. "That's great.... Isn't it?" Penelope asked. "Yeah, sure." Kevin replied. "But?" Penelope asked and he sighed. "But.... My dad hasn't really dated anyone since my mom ran off when I was young." Kevin replied. "That sucks." Penelope commented. "I know, and I guess I'm happy for him. But it's also a little weird." Kevin told her. "I bet." Penelope agreed. He walked over to her and kissed the top of her head. "I should get to work." Kevin told her and she nodded. He walked out of her office and she turned back to her computers.
     Penelope answered her phone. "At your service, my fine furry friends." Penelope greeted. The door opened and she saw Kevin walk in with food. She put her finger up to her mouth, indicating him to be quiet and he nodded. "We need you to look up Heather Lexi Moore." Aaron told her. "Hold on, this will only take a moment." Penelope told her as she started typing. Kevin slowly laid out a blanket on the floor and put out the takeout he had ordered. "Heather Lexi Moore is ninteeen. She stayed in the same place her entire life. She bounced from fosters homes her entire life. Several of them were very abusive, and she was even repeatedly raped in one of them." Penelope explained. "That's terrible." Spencer commented. "But it fits the M.O of the Unsub." Emily added. "Can you find any addresses she may be at?" Aaron asked. Penelope started typing again. "I found two known addresses around the area. They are both still listed in her name." Penelope replied. "Send them over and we'll go in two groups." Aaron told her. "Already done. Garcia out." Penelope told him and hung up.
    Penelope turned around and smiled at her husband. "Are you free now?" Kevin asked. "Yeah." Penelope replied. "Good." Kevin commented as she sat across from him on the blaket. "What is all of this?" Penelope asked with a grin. "Dinner. I figured that we both have been working hard, and deserve a nice dinner." Kevin replied. "I love you." Penelope told him. "I love you too." Kevin told her. They leaned in and kissed. "This smells delicious." Penelope commented. He got thr food from.a burger joint that they love to go to. "I ordered you your favorite." Kevin told her. "Since your dad is in town, we should go on a date." Penelope suggested. "Sounds delightful." Kevin agreed.
    Penelope walked out of her office and greeted her friends, who just got back from their case. "That was the easiest case we've had for a while. It's like the Unsub wanted to get caught." Derek commented. "Yeah, she just wanted attention because she felt like no one paid attention to her." David agreed. "I'm just glad to be back home." JJ commented. "Me too." Emily agreed. "I'll only be a few minutes." Aaron told her and she nodded as he walked into his office. Erin Strauss walked in and David smiled as he walked out of his office. He walked up to her and kissed her. "Are you ready?" Erin asked. "Yep, let's go." David replied. They held hands as they left. JJ cleared off her desk as Spencer organized his. He grabbed something out of his desk and put it in his pocket as Derek cleaned his desk. Kevin walked up to his wife. "I'm off." Kevin told her. "Me too." Penelope agreed. They both smiled and walked out.
     Penelope and Kevin walked inside and gasped when she saw Carlos, her step brother, on the couch. He stood up and faced them. They haven't seen each other since Penelope was in front of a jury and told them to let the person who killed her parents go, instead of spending more time in jail. Carlos wanted him to be punished, but Penelope ended up feeling bad for him and advised them to let him go. Carlos hasn't talked to her since. "Hi, Carlos." Penelope greeted. "Your father in law let me in." Carlos told her. "I'm going to check on Abigail." Kevin told them. He squeezed her hand and walked upstairs. "What are you doing here?" Penelope asked. "We haven't talked, I missed my big sister." Carlos replied. "I missed you too, Carlos. But you stopped talking to me." Penelope told him and he sighed. "I need time, time to think. I don't know. I didn't understand why you did what you did, but I understand now. I wish I understood it earlier, but I was so hit with grief." Carlos explained. "I made some terrible mistakes after mom and dad died, and I realized that he was upset about what he did. It was a mistake, and that's all. He shouldn't pay for the rest of his life, I didn't.... And if I didn't, then he shouldn't either. He made one mistake, I made several before Hotch recruited me to the FBI. He believed in me when no one else did, and Jesse Wilson just needed someone to believe in him too. I learned that he wasn't a bad guy, just like Hotch learned that I wasn't a bad girl." Penelope explained. "Is that why you did it? Because it reminded you of when you turned over a new leaf?" Carlos asked. "No, that was just a part of it. I truly believed him, and knew he wasn't a bad person." Penelope replied and Carlos smiled. "I love you, big sis." Carlos commented. "I love you too, little brother." Penelope agreed and they hugged.
   Penelope and Kevin were in bed early in the morning. "So, your brother and my dad are staying with us?" Kevin asked and Penelope nodded. "Yes." Penelope replied. "This is going to be tight." Kevin commented. "What about your dad's fiance?" Penelope asked. "She'll be coming tonight." Kevin replied and Penelope sighed. "Well, we can put your dad and his fiance on the pull out couch in the living room and Carlos can stay on the couch we keep in the garage. It's clean and all set for him." Penelope suggested. "It's the best idea we can come up with. How long are they staying?" Kevin asked. "I don't know, we can find out during breakfast." Penelope replied and he nodded.
     Maeve was out eating breakfast with her parents and the twins. Spencer asked them to take her out so he could get her surprise ready at the house. He put candles around and the lights were off. He didn't wear a tux, because it wasn't his style. But he did wear his nicest outfit. He heard the door unlocking as Maeve walked in. "My parents are taking the twins on a walk." Maeve told him and she paused as she slowly closed the door behind her, shocked at what was going on. "Hey, Maeve." Spencer greeted. "What is all of this?" Maeve asked with a small smile and Spencer grinned. "You're the love of my life, and I'm not good with words. But before you, I was an awkward kid with things in my mind that most people never even think of, I was especially awkward around girls. But then I met you." Spencer replied. "I love you too. I mean, you saved my life. You made me happier then anyone ever has." Maeve replied. He got down on one knee and held out a ring. "Will you marry me?" Spencer asked. Maeve grinned. "Yes." Maeve replied. He put the ring on her finger and they kissed passionately.