14

We pulled up to Liz's house in Aunt May's car. Ned was wearing a weird hat, but I chose not to comment on it. "Ah, house party in the suburbs. Oh I remember these. Kind of jealous." Aunt May smiled at us.

"It'll be a night to remember." Ned smiled back and I rolled my eyes.

May laughed. "Ned, some hats wear men, you wear that hat."

"That is the point of hats, Aunt May."

"It gives me confidence."

"Hey, maybe we should just go home. You know, Aunt May, there'll be a lot of drunk and possibly high teenagers at this party. You wouldn't want to corrupt your innocent niece now would you?"

She just laughed. "Oh, Dani, I know it's hard with all of the changes you're body's going through. It's flowering now." She joked, entirely out of place.

"Ha ha."

"What with school and your internship, I don't imagine you do much socialising, right?"

"Maybe."

"So, go to the party. Socialise with people. You've been going to this school for what, 2 years? And you haven't been to a single party. Aside from Ned's Screening of the Star Wars Film. Go, have fun, don't get drunk. Or do. Just be safe."

"Yes, OK thank you Aunt May!"

I pushed Ned out of the car and we walked up to Liz's house. I turned to my best friend. "Are you meant to ring the bell at a party?"

To answer my question, the door swung open and we walked in to the smell of cheap beer. "You've got the suit, right?"

"Ned, I'm not doing it. But yes, I always have the suit."

"Can't believe you guys are at this lame party."

We turned around to see Michelle spreading jam on a piece of toast. "You're here too."

"Am I?" She left and I turned to Ned.

"Who has toast at a party?"

Then, Liz walked over. "Hey guys. Cool hat, Ned. I love your outfit, Dani."

"Uh, thanks Liz."

"I'm so happy you guys came. There's pizza and drinks, help yourself."

"By the way, I think I just saw Michelle eating a piece of your toast. I don't know why."

"Well, it is Michelle."

Then, we heard a breaking sound. "Oh, my parents will kill me if any thing's broken. I gotta-"

"Yeah. It's fine. A hostess' job is never done."

"Have fun."

"Thanks."

"Dude, what are you doing? She's here, spider it up."

"Like I told you 1000 times Ned, no. I'm just gonna be myself."

"Dani, no one wants that."

"Wow, thanks that Ned. Bit of career advice, don't become a motivational speaker. You're crap at it. I'm going to find a non alcoholic drink."

I walked off and heard Flash DJ-ing. Who's genius idea was it to give Flash a microphone?

"Parker, what's up? Where's your best friend Spiderwoman? Let me guess, in Canada with your imaginary boyfriend?" He pressed and airhorn sound effect and people around us laughed.

"Excuse me." I walked through the crowd to where Flash was at the DJ booth. I grabbed the microphone.

"You say, 'imaginary boyfriend' Eugene, but maybe I need to remind you that you asked me out in the first week of Freshman Year. So, you really can't talk about me having an imaginary boyfriend."