Chapter 18 'We Danced With Monsters'

I had to become a monster, to deal with monsters -

(Picture above is Ren)

A time jump of two years later.

Ren's POV

A month since Duyon came into ward two. I really missed him in those couple of weeks when he went back into ward one. During time break, he was attacked by two patients. He fought back, but he was badly beaten by those two patients. The guards said that it was a planned attack and they wanted to kill Duyon in the process.

It wasn't because of that, he went back into ward one. No, the attack triggered again something inside of him. He got aggressive and began to withdraw himself from everyone. Causing trouble and of course taking his revenge on those two patients. He attacked them at night when there were sleeping. Nobody knows how he opened the locked doors, but he did it somehow. He opened the door of the room where those two were sleeping. He attacked them, during the fight he was hit multiple times but still beaten the two guys.

If the guards came five minutes later, he would have killed them. Because of this, he was sent to into ward one. It was the two patients fault for planning to attack him, so they deserve what they got, but they weren't sent back into ward one, Duyon was only sent there.

After eight weeks he was sent to ward two and is now my roommate.

I was now watching him write his letter to Blaze. After two years he began to talk less about his ex-boyfriend and, he was writing only one letter a week instead of every day.

'Are you almost finished?' I asked him before standing up from my bed. He stopped writing and turned to look at me. 'Almost' He said before turning to face his letter again. We have a close relationship with each other. He thinks of me as a younger brother he never had. I am happy because we trust each other but I don't see him as an older brother.

'I am finished' He said before standing up and walking to my bed. 'Let's see' I said before walking to our desk. I always read his letters and it's heartbreaking to read how much he still loves him, even after his exboyfriend got married and has a son with his wife, he still loves him.

'You did great today!' I said with a smile before putting his letter into a black box. All his letters he wrote in those two years, he put them inside this black box. I closed the lid before sitting next to him on the bed. He was looking outside the window as always.

He helped me with a lot. Always listening to me when I talk about my troubles. He gives me advice and looks after me. I can't count at how much he saved me inside this mental hospital. From patients and from myself. He never talks about how he feels, that's why he writes his letters. That's his only form of therapy. They used everything, from talking to meditation but nothing worked as good as his letters to Blaze.

'Is something on your mind?' He asked me. I smiled. 'Not really. I am only thinking about the time we are inside this hospital' I said. He always notices when I feel down of bad.

'I know, it's already two years, but the time flies fast in here' He said. 'I want to go to the real world' I said. Since the age of sixteen, I was put inside this mental hospital. I am already eighteen and feel hopeless when I am still stuck inside this place without a future for myself.

'You're already here for three years. But I hope we'll get out here someday' He said in a hopeless tone. I grabbed his hand, looking at his wrist. The scars from his suicide attempts were showing. I kissed the scars before looking at his confused expression. I don't deserve him but that doesn't mean he isn't someone special to me.