Chapter 31

Venessa's P.O.V

After getting introduced to Vincent's parents, Vincent escorted them to the guestroom to get some rest as they might be worn out from the long journey. While I waited patiently at the bottom of the stairs waiting for him as I wanted to ask him a few questions.

Spotting me at the bottom of the stairs, he came down and stood in front of me. "Would you be going to work now?" I questioned him, which he hummed in response.

"Oh, okay" I answered, realizing he's probably already getting late and I don't plan on wasting his time further.

"Do you want to talk?" He asked, taking my hand in his, making the butterflies in my stomach fly wildly.

"Yeah, but it's okay, I'll probably just wait for you tonight and we'll talk," I mumbled as I played with my knotted fingers.

"No! Tell me now, I got time, baby girl." He exclaimed, pulling me closer, but I only pushed his chest away gently as I could feel myself heating up because of the closeness.

A frown took over his face as he looked at me, trying to figure out what's going on inside my head.

"It's nothing important Vincent, we'll talk later you're getting late for your work" I quickly added not wanting him to get any clue of the storm raging inside my head, making me slowly lose my sanity.

"It's fine if I'm getting late for work, besides I'm the boss so I can do whatever I want and come whenever I want." He answered, pulling me closer again and this time his grip is stronger than before, making unable to push him away.

"Please tell me now or else I won't be able to focus later on work," he begged, caressing my cheeks feathery.

Why are you pretending? Your parents are not here anymore watching us. What games are you playing, Vincent?.

"Ok, if you say so" I replied, knowing all too well that he won't let me go until I tell him.

Pulling me towards his study, he let me in and closed the door softly behind him, while I fidgeted with my fingers.

Should I ask him whether he's just pretending? Maybe it's not the right time. Things are going well between us and I don't want to make it awkward. What if he says that he is? How the hell am I going to react to it?

Thoughts ran inside my head at full speed, too impossible to stop them. Maybe I shouldn't get my hopes high, after all, everyone leaves me in the end. I'm getting used to it but I don't think I can bear Vincent leaving me, or maybe I must be overreacting, maybe he's different.

"So che sta succedendo qualcosa nella tua testa, amore mio, ma stai esitando a dirmelo" he muttered in Italian snapping me out of my daze, bringing me back to reality.

I glanced up at him, unable to get words out of my mouth. But I have to ask him, I don't want to be blinded with lies.

(I know there's something going on inside your head, my love, but you're hesitating to tell me)

"Vincent" I called out, looking down at the floor, while he came closer, pulling my chin up with his fingers.

"I know it's just been a day, oh wait not even a day but.." I blurted out carelessly.

"But what is my love?" He intervenes, with his eyebrows drawn together. There he goes again with 'my love'.

"I don't want to pretend, Vincent," I stated, looking straight at his eyes, wanting to see what his reaction would be.

"What are you talking about? And why the hell on earth would you pretend?" He asked me.

"I don't know what I'm talking about Vincent, I'm sorry" I answered, feeling like a complete fool. I tried to walk past him to get out of his study when he grabbed my forearm, making me come to a halt.

"I know all too well what you mean, Venessa. So let me tell you that I'm not pretending, I mean every single word I said to you," he said stepping close.

I looked up to him, speechless as if all my senses just left my body. I opened my mouth to say something, but him kissing my cheek stopped me, and then without any word, he left.

What was that? Is he angry? Oh, my god, so that means... no, I don't know what he meant. What did he mean to say?

I stared at his retreating figure, unable to stop the sigh coming out of my mouth. The first day of marriage and I screwed it up already.

Exiting the study, I went straight up to the bedroom to lock myself there and blame myself. I feel so pathetic. I shouldn't have said it. But I can do now nothing, what said is said.

The time of dinner came, I went downstairs to help Margaret with the food when Mr. and Mrs. De Costello came looking jolly. "Hey dear," Vincent's father greeted me in his Italian accent.

"Hello, Mr. De Costello" I replied while mixing the bowl on the stove.

"Don't be silly, call me dad" he said while smiling warmly at me, and I couldn't help the tears welling up in my eyes. He seemed to notice it as he came over to my side and gave me a fatherly hug, and this time I didn't bother to stop the tears falling onto my cheeks.

After our moment we sat at the dining table waiting for Vincent to show up. Seconds turned to minutes and minutes turned to hours, but Vincent didn't show up. He's supposed to be home hours ago, but he's not and I feel guilty.

Mom and dad, yes I call them mom and dad now. They kept on forcing me to eat, but I refused as I wanted to eat with Vincent and talk about earlier more properly. After mom and dad finished their dinner, they went straight back to the airport to go back to Italy.

I told them to stay for the night and go early in the morning so that they can also meet Vincent before going, but dad said that it's urgent, so they left me all alone in this big ass house all by myself. Margaret and Kate went back to their home.

Now I'm laying on bed, thinking about Vincent and our talk at his study. During the last few days, he's the only one that is in my head. I can't stop thinking about him, even if I force myself not to.

Closing my eyes shut, I slowly succumb to sleep, but not before shedding a few tears.

___&__
VOTE, COMMENT AND FOLLOW.

Until then...