Chapter 41

Venessa's P.O.V

Wearing my diner uniform, I headed downstairs and saw Lynda cooking breakfast. I approached her and greeted her with a good morning and with a smile on my face.

"Good morning sweetie, did you sleep well?" She questioned, looking at my pale face and dark circles, making me feel conscious as I didn't even bother to cover them up.

"Yeah, I slept well. Thank you for asking. Where's Mario by the way." I replied trying to make her stop questions, not that I want to share it with her, it's just I don't want to talk about it right now as I don't want to ruin my mood furthermore.

"He's still in bed. I'm really worried about him" Lynda replied, sadness lacing in her voice and a tear fell from her eyes. I pulled her into a hug and wipe her tears away.

''He's going to be fine, don't worry'', I whispered feeling awful just thinking about Mario's condition, I can't afford to lose him especially right now when I need him.

Lynda pulled away and made me sit at the stool, "enough of crying. Let's get you some food in that stomach" she exclaimed, smiling again, wiping the tears from her face. I looked up to her and can't help but feel happy thinking that there's still someone who cares for me.

"Why are you in uniform?" She questioned placing freshly cooked pancakes on a plate.

"I thought of working again in the diner now that Mario is sick, as I'm sure that they might be facing some problems without Mario, so I think it's better if I offer a hand," I muttered, picking the pancake not feeling hungry at all.

"That's so grateful of you, but you don't have to go today, you know. I think it's better if you get some rest." She said, caressing my pale cold cheek.

"I'm completely fine, don't worry I can take care of myself. Plus that's the least I can do for you guys for letting me stay here." I whispered looking down not wanting to look at her.

"Don't be silly, you know you're always welcome here any day, any time." She replied lifting my chin up and smiling down at me lovingly. It's been a long time since I started to get some motherly love again.

"I think I should get going now. I'm getting late", I said, standing up from the stool.

"But you didn't even eat at all. You just played with it" she stated. "I'm not hungry, I'll eat something later", I replied, putting on my coat and head out.

Walking towards the diner, I can't help but feel weary as I can feel being watched. I tried my best to ignore it but I just can't. What if it's Leonardo again? I just hope Vincent sees the paper I left at the bedside table.

As I reached the diner, I hastily went inside not wanting something to happen again. My small frame immediately relaxes the moment I saw my co-workers. There were still no customers since it's still early.

The moment that Tina saw me, she came running and hugged me tight as if her life depends on it.

"Oh my god! You're back!", she exclaimed excitedly hugging me even tighter making me feel suffocated.

"Tina, you're hugging me too tight. I can't breathe" I said smiling and she quickly loosens her hold apologizing. "I just missed you" she replied pulling away with a huge smile on her face." I miss you too." I whispered.

"Let's start working" I exclaimed making Tina look at me questioning and before she could ask anything I quickly beat her to it. "I'll be working here again. Mario's sick so..." I said to her, making her nod but still look unconvinced.

The diner is busy as usual, I buried myself with work not wanting to think about Vincent but it seems impossible, this is where we first met and where everything started. It's funny how it feels like it's just yesterday when we first met.

The closing time approaches but I don't want to go back yet even though my feet and legs are dying to get some rest. My head aches and eyes burn. My body badly needs sleep but I'm not used to sleeping alone. How can I sleep when he's not there to hold me and share his body heat?

"Hey, let's go." Says Tina breaking me out of my own thoughts. I walk towards the door and link my arms with hers.

"You don't seem alright. You're lost with your own thoughts, you look tired and you didn't even eat anything the whole day." She remarked looking at me concerned.

"I'm fine, don't worry," I responded. Making her scoff. "Fine, my as*" she says under her breath making me smile at her.

It's sickening how I keep saying that I'm fine even though I don't feel fine at all. I don't know how to explain that my chest hurts so bad that I want to scream out in pain, I want the pain to stop, I want to cry my eyes out but there seems no tears coming out. But I still guess it's fine.

Until then...