Chapter 42

Venessa's P.O.V

Reaching Mario's house, I tried my best to flatten my unruly hair. I look like a mess, well; I am a mess. But I don't want Mario and Lynda to worry about me.

Pulling the door open, they immediately fill my ears with Mario's laughter. I walked inside and saw that he and Lynda are sitting at the coach conversing with each other animatedly while I stood by the door not wanting to be seen as I can't help but admire both of them and their love for each other.

Lynda spotted me and dragged me to sit with them. Which I couldn't deny.

"Did you have your dinner, my Rosa?" Mario questioned, caressing my hand that is holding his fragile one.

"Yes, I did. Did you have yours?" I lied, looking away not wanting to get caught.

Mario however put his hand on my chin making me look at him, but I don't want to look at him as my heart breaks every time I look at his face. He looks so thin and fragile as if he would break any moment.

"Goodnight, my love. I'm going to bed now. I have to wake up early tomorrow." Lynda stated as she placed a kiss on my cheek and walking towards their room, leaving me and Mario alone.

"Listen to me, my flower" Mario muttered making me look at him. "It's easier to let go when you're tired and leave when you're hurting. But remember, you must have the courage to hold on until the end. It's just a test. Don't give up." He whispered.

"You mean to say to hold on even though I'm hurting?" I questioned, fighting back tears, not wanting to break.

"Yes, you must hold on. You'll get through it no matter what." He answered wiping the tears that managed to fall. He smiles at me lovingly. "I know it doesn't feel right at the moment but you ought to know that love is the greatest feeling one can feel, it's so powerful that it can make people lose their mind sometimes but it's worth it." He added while kissing me goodnight on my cheek and leaving me alone with my own thoughts.

My phone rang snapping me out of my own thoughts, making me jump from the sudden sound. I fished it out of my pocket and looked at the caller id but it's unknown making me think twice whether to answer or not.

Maybe I should answer it as it can be an emergency.

Answering the call, I placed the phone in my ear. Just I was to open my mouth, a voice that haunts my dream spoke, making chills run down my spine.

"Time's ticking. Remember what I said, Venessa. I don't give empty threats." Leonardo stated menacingly. My hands shook violently not wanting to think about what he can do to Mario.

"Y..You'll get it. I promise. But please don't d..do anything to Mario. I beg you, pl...please." I stuttered with tears running down my face but he already hung up. I just want Vincent right now. I want him to hold me and caress my hair until I fall asleep.

Dragging my feet towards the room I'm staying in, my heart drummed hard against my chest and my knees are wobbly like jelly. I'm tired but I don't want to sleep. I'm scared just by thinking what if they attack tonight.

I have to call Vincent and tell him to sign the damned papers so that it will be all over. The sooner, the better.

Sitting at the edge of the bed with my head in my arms, I didn't even bother to turn on the lights as I'm scared to see myself in the mirror.

I want to call him but at the same time, I don't want to. Don't be selfish, Venessa. I know that him cheating on you is not right but at least do it for Mario. Says inner Venessa trying to reason with me. She's right and I hate it.

Dialing his number that I know by my heart, my finger hover above the call button. It's too late, maybe I should call him tomorrow. I tell myself to find reasons just not to call him.

Don't kid yourself, Venessa. You know all too well that he doesn't sleep until the sun is already up. Says inner Venessa again.

Sighing, I ring his line and wait impatiently for him to pick up. Butterflies started to fly widely inside my stomach and heart pound hard against my ribcage. It's now or never.

"Hello?", he says picking up. Lump forms in my throat making me unable to speak. I want to tell him badly that I miss him and that I want him to come and hug me tight in his arms but I can't find my voice. Just tell him about the papers.

"How are you doing, my love?" He questioned with his voice low and I could hear his heavy breath.

"G..go to our room and you'll see papers on the bedside table. P...please sign them immediately." I whispered trying not to cry.

"What is this paper about?" He inquired, making me freeze. What the hell am I supposed to tell him?.

"P..please just sign them," I said hanging up immediately. I can't do this anymore. He's suffering just as I am and I can tell it. But it's for the better.

Kicking off my shoes, I didn't even bother to change into something comfortable. I lay facing the ceiling with my head filled with so many questions.

I'm scared to sleep. I'm scared of seeing nightmares. I'm scared of waking up in the middle of the night completely alone. And I'm scared of thinking about tomorrow. How can I go with another day without him?

Until then...