Chapter 53

Venessa's P.O.V

After taking a quick shower, I paddled over to our walk-in closet, shivering slightly, wrapped in a fluffy white towel.

Choosing a simple sundress, I wore my undergarments and let the towel drop at the floor carelessly while I surveyed the dress, thinking whether or not I should wear it when a sharp intake of breath made me freeze instantly and my heart hammered wildly.

As I turned my back hesitantly, there stood Vincent wearing his usual crisp suit leaning at the door all in his mighty glory greeted my eyesight.

Placing my hand over my chest, I tried to tame my heartbeat while letting out a shaky breath. ''you scared me", I whispered, completely forgetting that I'm only in my undergarments.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't resist" he replied, so casually while shamelessly eyeing my almost naked body up and down.

My cheeks and ears heated up with embarrassment as I bend down picking up the towel at the floor as an excuse to shield my red as a strawberry face from his sight. It's not the first he ever saw my body but I'm still shy around him.

"Get out, Vince I wanna get dressed" I mumbled softly, wrapping a towel around my body making him whine like a child while I look at him questioning.

"Why cover-up? I was enjoying it." He rejoiced, smiling showing his small dimple on his left cheek melting my heart in process since it's very rare to see him smile the way he's doing right now. I miss you and your smile. I said to myself trying my best not to cry.

"Ok, fine." He replied turning his back muttering 'what a good sight to start my day though.' under his breath but I heard it anyways.

As we drive towards the cemetery, I can't help but fiddle with Vincent's hand that sat comfortably at my lap making Vincent glance at me with concern every now and then.

"We still can go back you know that, right?" He said, making me shake my head no at him. No, I want to get over the heavy feeling in my chest, the feeling that keeps me awake at night as I lay motionless at the bed and letting the guilt consume me whole, the feeling that restricts me from moving forward. I want it to stop. I want to be able to breathe more freely.

"No, I don't wanna go back" I replied, stubbornly making him sigh.

"Fine as you wish. But promise me first that you won't cry." He said,

"It breaks my heart every time I see you crying, my love. So promise me" he added stopping the car at the corner of the road.

And at this moment I can't help but feel thankful to have him in my life. I'm really glad that everything is slowly falling back to place.

I felt him tug me towards his lap making me gasp in surprise as I snapped out of my thoughts.

''What are you doing, Vincent? We're already late!'' I exclaimed, wiggling and thrashing around his strong arms trying to get away but his hold only tightened making me sigh in defeat. I swear, this guy is more clingy than me.

Wrapping his arms around my body, he held me tight as if I would disappear at any moment. We stayed in each other's arms silently, when he suddenly spoke.

"I miss you" he whispered, making my heart beat hard with excitement. I stayed silent not finding any words to say.

"I wish I could turn back the clock and change everything." He muttered, making me tilt my head up from his chest to look at him.

"I'm sorry" he apologized for the billionth time.

"Stop apologizing, Vince. Let's just put it in the past." I mumbled while caressing his sharp jawline.

After our sweet moment in the car, we continued our journey to the cemetery. As we near the location, my hands started to shake and sweat savagely.

I'm so sorry Mario and Lynda. I'm sorry, I couldn't save you. I'm sorry. I keep repeating inside my head like a mantra when I hear a hiss.

I looked at my side and saw Vincent trying hard not to open his mouth and then I realized that I'm digging my nails into his hand.

As the realisation hit me, I immediately felt awful. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to do it." I blabbered while caressing softly his now torn skin.

"It's fine, my love" he assured, pulling beside the gate of the cemetery.

"Are you ready?" He questioned, taking my cold hand into his and lead me out of the car.

The moment I got out, a soft wind blew my hair behind my back and made my knee-length sundress swish around.

Walking hand in hand, I let Vincent walk me to their grave trying to steady my jelly-like legs.

I won't cry, I won't. I'm stronger than this.

Vincent suddenly stopped walking and made me bump into his back.

"I'm sorry" I whispered when my eyes caught Mario and Lynda's name engraved at the tomb.

This is real. They're really dead. But why is it too hard to believe? why is it too hard to accept?.

My knees gave up on me, making me shrink down at the grass beneath me. Tears ran down my cheeks and no matter how much I try to stop them I can't. My chest hurts so bad and there's something about the pain that I can't exactly explain. It's like my heart is breaking but not like the glass falling to the floor.

The pain is unbearable. I wonder how people go through this.

I want it to stop. I'm sorry, Vincent. I know I promised that I won't cry but I can't stop it. It hurts so bad.

I felt a hand wipe my tears away but it got replaced by new tears again. "Shhhh, calm down, my love. Please" he whispered in my ears.

I look up to his grey eyes that are shining down at me. "

I sobbed hard clutching his suit right in my fist.

"Please h...help me to make it stop. It hurts. I can't breathe" I cried out while clutching my chest and feeling my chest tightening.

Vincent rubbed my back up and down trying to soothe me.

I sobbed hard clutching his suit right in my fist.

"Stop crying, Venessa. I promise I'll make it stop." He replied, taking my face into his hands.

"P..please do it. Please" I begged like a child begging his mother to buy him an ice cream.

"Why?, why does it have to happen to me?." I questioned feeling my head getting heavy and my eyes go droopy.

I can hear Vincent's muffled voice and despite trying everything in my will to stay awake, my body seemed to be not listening.

Until then...