Eighteen: A Lot Of Patience

Sally P.O.V:

When raising Percy Jackson, one must have patience. A lot of patience. Patience with scraped knees and temper-tantrums. With broken bones and school work break-downs. With phases and idols. Of course, every parent deals with things like that. It is part of raising a child. I however, had a far more complicated side of parenting than most. Over the years, I have dealt with gods and quests. With adventures and perils. With monsters and mayhem. With life and death.

After all this time, you would think I would be used to the surprises that came with raising a demigod. With raising a hero. But this time, I am done with suprises. Done with mysteries. Done with worry. This time I was promised no suprises. No change ups. No last minute things.

Today is Friday. This is a fact. A well known, established, universally enstated fact. An extended note that should be included in this fact is that it is 2:36 PM on Friday. My daughter, Ingrid Perceus Jackson, is scheduled to leave my house at 9:00 AM and return Friday 12:00 PM. It. Is. 2:36. PM. That is 2 hours and 36 minutes late. That is a surprise. That is a change up. That is a last minute thing. I am sure she has a reason. A very good reason. Most likely a "save the world reason". But I deserve a phone call. A text message. An email. A hand written letter delivered by doves if need be. I want to know my daughter is safe. I want to know where she is. And she promised. She told me "don't worry, Mom. There isn't anything to worry about this time. I'm just supposed to go and teach them a thing or two. No hero stuff. None. I promise." This is what she told me. This is what I believed. This is what she needs to be held accountable for.

So I called a cab to Happy Harbor. I marched right up to that mountian and I repeated the code Percy told me in case I ever need to see her during the week. And then, I screamed. I screamed her name so loud it shook the stupid mountain that stole her, dragged her away from me. I called for her, my child. I called for her to come home. I called for her to be safe.

Robin P.O.V:

As a loud scream echoed in the Cave, I jumped up and took of running to find the source. I found myself standing in front of the Zeta Tubes, caught off gaurd as I looked upon a middle aged woman screaming her head off. She had dark brown hair streaked with grey and lightly tanned skin. She stood at about 5'3" and was wearing loose, dark blue jeans and a white t shirt. Yellow sandals were strapped to her feet.

She finshed her screaming session and looked at me with kind eyes. Her eyes were a gorgeous green incredibly similar to Percy's. In fact, the longer I looked at her, the more resemblance the two seemed to share. They had the same nose and eye shape. The same thin neck. Percy's jaw was slightly more squared and sharp and her hairline was a tad more angular but the general face shape was nearly identical. I relized I was looking at a woman who had to be Percy's mother, or at least a very close aunt. I took a breath and searched for words but the woman before me beat me to it.

"Hello young man, I am Sally Jackson. I am looking for my daughter, Percy. Is she here?" The woman asked me with a kind voice. Here facial features were warmed but strained. As if she was bubbling with anger but refused to show it. I cleared my throat.

"Hello Ma'am," I began, nervous of the horrible thing I must tell the poor woman in front of me. "My name is Robin. I work with your daughter. I regret to inform you that Percy is currently in surgery." Sally's face fell. Tears welled in her eyes and she held a hand to her mouth. She stared at me a moment, frozen in shock. After a moment she cleared her throat and composed herself.

"Please take me to her." She requested in a quite tone, her voice fragile.

I lead her through the Cave, occasionally looking behind me to make sure she was following. She walked behind me, quietly muttering. I strained my ears to pick up what she was saying, but the only thing I was able to clearly hear was the word 'please'.

When we reached the waiting room, the rest of the people, or at least those who were awake, jumped up at our arrival. They all looked worried and focused. Even Bats. To think he was worried about Percy made a mixture of emotions course through me. Apart, they were unstoppable forces. If Percy and Bruce were to find a way to co-exist or get along, the very face of the planet could be effected.

"Um, guys. This is Percy's mother, Sally." They all were slightly surprised but nodded and gave a chorus of "Pleased to meet you"'s and "Hello"'s.

"Can you tell me why my daughter is currently in surgery?" Sally asked, a desperate tone filling her already cracking voice. We all looked at each other. Kaldur decided to speak.

"Approximately 36 hours ago, several of us were kidnapped. Percy was the prime subject of the kidnapper's, how do I put it, abuse." Kaldur reported. A formal and sorrowful tone was drawn across his words. Sally, eyes wide with motherly fear, clasped her hands together and sat down. She began to mutter out a small prayer. I suppose religion was a big thing with Percy's family.

Suddenly, the door to the emergency opperating room opened and out stepped a very tired looking blonde. Sally perked up at the sight of him, relife seemed to wash over her.

"Will!" She called, making him draw his eyes to her. As he looked at her, a series of expressions adorned his features.

"Sally?"