Thrown Off the Track

Takes place between Blindsided and Shell Shocked part 1 so none of the riders know that hiccstrid is official. Enjoy!

"Where do you think you're going?"  Tuffnut said accusingly as Astrid grabbed two plates of food.
    "Hiccup and I are rethinking our strategy before we go to Berk next week to present the plan,"  she replied simply.  "If I didn't offer to bring him food he wouldn't have eaten at all." As much as they wanted to argue, they kept quiet. The minute she was gone, Tuff broke the silence.
"I'm not buying it," he said and crossed his arms. "Let's listen through the door." Ruffnut and Snotlout agreed but Fishlegs refused to eavesdrop. 
    "Oh come on Fishface, don't be such a drag," Snotlout said tauntingly. 
    "No, it's their personal business,"  Fishlegs said firmly then realized what he said.  "Oh my Thor, you don't think-?"
    "Yes that's exactly what we think!  Now let's go!"  Ruffnut exclaimed and practically ran outside. The others followed close behind her, making sure Astrid doesn't spot them. Once she was inside Hiccup's hut they crowded outside the door to listen in.
"Oh they're just talking about battle strategies, nothing interesting," Tuff complained.
"Well, maybe that's because that's what Astrid said they were going to do,"  Fishlegs said loyally.  "Now then, let's go back to the clubhouse and eat, I'm starving."  They grumbled but agreed and left Hiccup's hut.
.
.
.
.
(Now let's follow Astrid)
.
.
.
.
    Astrid walked toward Hiccup's hut, pretending she didn't notice the other riders whispering behind her.  They were starting to get suspicious, so it was time to throw them off a little. She knocked on the door and was met by Hiccup's crooked smile.
"I brought food," she said and walked past him, putting the two plates on his desk. He closed the door and wrapped his arms around her.  "They're getting suspicious,"  she whispered and turned around to face him. 
    "What?"  He asked quietly, in case someone was listening.
    "Just play along."  He nodded and she wrapped her arms around him, leaning against his chest.  "I think we should strike from the east and south instead of west.  There's more sea-stacks which would be better cover for us."
    "I agree, and if we use the caves we can attack from the sea-line and take out a few more ships," he replied and gently kissed her forehead, making her smile. 
    "Are we going to use the A-team?  Or maybe Heather and Dagur?  I mean this is a pretty big mission,"  she asked and snuggled closer to him. 
    "Absolutely, we'll need both."  Astrid held up a hand for him to be quiet. She walked over to the door and heard shuffling outside followed by footsteps leaving the hut. "I think we're safe now."
"Finally!" Hiccup said and pulled her into a kiss. She chuckled and kissed back, still smiling. "How long are we going to keep hiding this?"
"Just until we end this war.  I think if they knew we were together it would throw them off.  I mean it's going to be hard enough for us."  Hiccup sighed and nodded.
    "But what if it doesn't end? What if they win and everything we've fought for crumbles?"  He said sadly and looked down at her hands, resting gently in his.  She smiled a little and made him look at her.
    "This will end, and we will win.  Hiccup, I trust you with my life,"  she said sincerely.  He looked at her with a puzzled expression.
    "How did I get so lucky to have you by my side?"  He asked softly.
    "I should be asking you the same question,"  she said and reached up to kiss him.  It was obvious that this young couple had something very special, and, for now, only they knew about it.

    Well I finally finished.  This one shot took forever for me to write but I'm very happy with how it turned out.  Also I start college classes next week so if I'm not posting much, that's why.