Discipline

Hiccup and Astrid had gotten off very lucky so far with Zephyr.  She was well behaved and always loved helping out.  But that was about to change.
    "Zephyr are you excited to see your big girl bed," Astrid asked her two year old daughter who was playing quietly while she washed the dishes.  Hiccup was working late, so Astrid was letting Zephyr stay up until he got home.  They knew that transferring her into her new bed was going to be challenging, so it was important for both of them to be there.
    "Yes!"  The little girl exclaimed happily.  "Will my baby brother or sister sleep in my old bed?"  They had just told her the day before that she was going to be a big sister which confused her at first.  How was there a baby in her mommy's tummy?  But eventually they seemed to be able to make her understand that the baby was still growing and wouldn't come for another seven months.
    "Probably, Mommy's going to really need your help when the baby gets here."
    "Will I get to hold the baby?"  Zephyr asked excitedly.
    "If I'm here or Daddy's here then yes you can.  The baby is going to be very tiny and you'll have to be gentle with it."  Just then, Hiccup walked in.
    "Daddy!"  Zephyr ran over and jumped into his arms.
    "There's my big girl," he said tossing her in the air, making her laugh.  "Are you ready to go see your new bed?"  She nodded excitedly.  They took her upstairs to her room and she immediately ran over and jumped on her new bed.
    "Alright, goodnight Zephyr," Astrid said and kissed her head gently while Hiccup wrapped the blankets around her.  They started to leave, but Zephyr got out of bed and started to follow them.  "Zephyr it's time for bed now."
    "I don't want to go to bed," she complained.
    "I know you don't want to go to bed, but you need to obey," Hiccup said firmly.
    "No."  This caught the young parents by surprise.  She had never so adamantly defied their authority before.
    "Zephyr Rose Haddock you will obey right now or you will go to bed even earlier tomorrow," Astrid said.  Once again, Zephyr refused.  Hiccup sighed and put her back in her bed before quickly leaving the room behind Astrid and shutting the door behind them.  Zephyr started screaming and trying to open the door.  On the other side, Hiccup was holding the door shut as trying to calm down Astrid at the same time.
    "She'll be okay, Astrid," he said calmly and held her tightly against his chest.
    "But what did we do wrong?" she asked shakily.  "She's never done this before."
    "We didn't do anything wrong, Astrid.  We've been very lucky with her so far, but she's two and it was inevitable that at some point she would act out.  It's called the terrible-twos for a reason."
    "Are you sure?"
    "You know I never lie to you," he replied which made her smile a little.  After another few minutes the screams died down and they quietly peaked in to find that Zephyr had fallen asleep on the floor.
    "Now that looks more like the Zephyr I know," Astrid said softly and couldn't help but smile at her daughter.  Nothing she could do, would stop them from loving her.

    Fun fact about this one shot, I actually based this on a story from my childhood and yep I was Zephyr😄