Visit From Heather

"Are you sure you don't want to go too?" Hiccup asked while Astrid was getting dressed.
    "I want to see if we can prank her," Astrid replied mischievously.  "She doesn't know that we got married, so this is the perfect opportunity to scare her that we broke up."
    "Pregnancy has made you cruel," he laughed.  Astrid just shrugged and went back to braiding her hair.  "Well I'll go meet her and I'll be back."  He kissed her head before heading out, trying on the way to the docks to think of how to not give away their little surprise.  This is the first time they've seen Heather since they left Old Berk, and they were all crazy excited.  He finally had an idea just in time to reach the docks.
    "Well look who grew up," came a voice, snapping him out of his thoughts.  He looked up and saw Heather smiling at him.  She ran and hugged him tightly.
    "You're one to talk, you grew up too," Hiccup replied.
    "Oh, this is my husband Evan.  Evan, this is the Chief of Berk, Hiccup."
    "So this is the famous Hiccup.  Heather's told me a lot about you and your time on Dragon's Edge," Evan said with a friendly smile.
    "It seems there are some things she's neglected to tell us," Hiccup replied noticing the small bundle Evan was holding.  "Is there someone else I should meet."  Heather carefully took the baby from Evan's arms and moved the blanket so Hiccup could see.
    "This is my son, Leaf.  He came a month ago," she said in a proud mother's tone.
    "Congratulations, to both of you.  Now then, you'll be staying with me and my wife since we have extra rooms."  Heather didn't miss the fact that he didn't say Astrid, and Hiccup was now trying very hard to hide a smile as they started walking.
    "So, how's Astrid?" She asked after a few minutes.
    "Fine last I heard.  I'm sure she'd love to see you while you're here."  Heather frowned but quickly pretended nothing was wrong.  The three talked casually until Heather finally brought up Astrid again.
    "What happened between you and Astrid?  Not to pry, but I feel semi entitled since I helped set you up all those years ago."
    "She hasn't stopped talking about that by the way," Evan added before Hiccup could respond.
    "Nothing exactly, we mutually decided to end our betrothal," Hiccup said with a shrug.  "I promise we're both happy with that decision."  Heather nodded and smiled a little sadly.  "And here we are."  The three walked inside and found a warm welcoming fire already waiting for them.
    "Well where is this wife of yours?" Heather asked as she bounced Leaf gently.
    "She's probably upstairs, I'll go get her.  Your room is the first door down that hall," Hiccup said and pointed in the general direction before going upstairs.
    "Well?" Astrid whispered.
    "She has no idea," he replied shutting the door behind him and the two laughed quietly.  "I told them while they go to their room, I'd go up and bring my wife down to meet them."
    "Wait, they?"
    "We're not the only ones allowed to get married you know," he said and kissed her briefly.  "Oh and she doesn't know anything about the baby, so she'll be extra surprised."
    "Ooh I'll wear a looser shirt so she'll see me before my stomach," Astrid laughed, resting her hands on her stomach.
    "I'll go on back down while you change."  She nodded and grabbed a different shirt out of the drawer.
    "I thought you were bringing your wife?" Heather asked when she saw Hiccup coming back downstairs alone.
    "She's just changing, she'll be down."  Sure enough, not two minutes later they heard footsteps coming downstairs.
    "I understand we have visitors?" Astrid asked and was met by a squeal from Heather who practically leaped into her arms.
    "You little sneak!" She yelled at Hiccup after Astrid stopped laughing.  "You said you ended your betrothal!"
    "We did, we got married which ended our betrothal," Astrid said and winked at her husband.  "Now this is someone I haven't met yet," Astrid said noticing Evan watching the whole scene play out with utter amusement.
    "This is my husband Evan, and our son is currently sleeping, thankfully," Heather explained and grabbed Evan's arm.
    "Your son?!  Oh my Thor how old is he?  What's his name?  You'd better let me see him!" Astrid said rapidly.
    "Whoa, whoa, whoa, calm down.  One question at a time," Heather laughed.  "His name is Leaf, he's a month old, and of course you can see him."
    "Sorry, pregnancy brain must be getting to me again," said casually.
    "What?!  Are you pregnant?!"  Astrid smiled and pulled her shirt a little tighter which showed off a significant bump.  Heather hugged her tightly and the two actually started crying.
    "Was Heather this emotional when she was pregnant?" Hiccup asked Evan as the two watched their wives gushing over various baby things.
    "It depended on the day," Evan shrugged.  "The worst was when someone made the mistake of telling her what we were having for dinner."
    "Why would that trigger her?" Hiccup asked curiously.
    "It was rabbit stew and she had seen a baby bunny earlier that day.  She wouldn't eat a thing and cried herself to sleep."
    "Note to self: hide all baby animals from Astrid's field of vision as soon as possible," Hiccup said, genuinely terrified of what would happen if he failed.
    "How far along are you?" Heather asked and wiped away the stray tear that remained.
    "About 5 months, but I already feel huge."
    "How are the cravings?"  Hiccup covered up a laugh but it didn't escape Astrid's notice.
    "Something funny?" She asked, glaring at him.
    "Oh just thinking about when you woke me up at 3am last week and demanded eggs, toast, and raspberries," Hiccup replied.
    "That sounds pretty normal," Heather said, now smuggling a laugh herself.
    "You'd think, until she wanted the eggs and raspberries mixed together and piled on the toast."  That broke Heather's control and she died laughing.
    "Sure, she laughs now.  It wasn't so funny five months ago when she was demanding squid with jam on top," Evan said and earned a glare from his wife.
    "Whatever," Heather replied, rolling her eyes.  "The one who's pregnant gets whatever she wants."  Astrid clapped and looked at Hiccup with an 'I told you so' expression.  As if he didn't already spoil her.  He's absolutely head over heels for her and their baby.
     "Since this might be the only time to see him quiet, do you want to go see Leaf?"  Astrid nodded eagerly and followed Heather into the room he was in.  They opened the door slowly and Astrid has to do her best to stifle her squeal when she saw him.
    "Heather, he's beautiful," she whispered.
    "He is," Heather agreed and gently rubbed his head, smiling proudly.  "He's going to look so much like Evan."
    "We have to visit each other more often so we can see our kids grow up."
    "Speaking of which, what do you think it is?" Heather asked curiously.
    "Well since there hasn't been a female born into the Haddock family for generations, it's probably a boy," Astrid said with a slight laugh.  "Though Hiccup does have a knack for breaking rules and family traditions so who knows, it might be a girl."
    "What do you want the baby to be?"  Astrid thought for a moment, absentmindedly rubbing her stomach.
    "I want my child to be healthy and to come into this world safely.  After that I'm happy."
    "Does Hiccup have a preference?"
    "He's desperate for a baby girl," Astrid said immediately.  "If it is a girl, she'll have him wrapped around her little finger and he won't complain in the slightest."  Heather laughed, knowing she was absolutely right.

    Here's a one shot that I've had in my head for years but never got around to writing until now.  I hope this will hold you over until I post part 3 this weekend.  Also, I probably won't have a bonus one shot up next week because I finally get to go back to dance😃