Our Time

"We have three meetings in the morning, one in the afternoon, and two more in the evening," Hiccup said as he got dressed. "At some point you need to go down to the docks and make sure everything is going okay with the new boats."
"Fine, whatever," Astrid replied and pulled her hair back. "And when am I supposed to do after that, with all this free time?"
"Astrid, please don't start this again," Hiccup sighed and faced her. "I can't help the fact that we're overworked right now, but it's only for one more week."
"Hiccup, you're the Chief, you can help it. You just won't." Astrid got up and went downstairs. They had been married for a little over two years and got along great for the most part, but whenever they were too busy to spend time together away from work they tended to argue. This was one of those times, but this one had gone on for much longer than the others. They walked to the Great Hall in silence.
"I'll be inside in a minute," Astrid said and stood by the steps.
"Don't be long," Hiccup replied gruffly, not bothering to face her. She waited until he was inside before she ran behind the building and threw up what little was in her stomach. She wiped her mouth and sat down against the wall. She found out a week ago that she was pregnant and she had been hiding it ever since.
"Why now," she said and put her head in her hands. After making sure she wasn't going to throw up again, she went inside and sat beside Hiccup.
"What's wrong?" He asked quietly.
"Nothing, I'm fine," she replies a little too quickly.
"Astrid, I-"
"I said I'm fine! Just leave me alone!" He nodded and turned his attention back to the discussion at the other end of the table. The meetings dragged on, but it was a welcome distraction for both of them. By the time the last one was over, they were forced to face each other.
"We should probably head home," Hiccup said when there were only a few people left. It would look suspicious if they stayed. No one else knew they were arguing. Astrid nodded and stood up. As they walked out, Hiccup wrapped an arm around her waist. She caught her breath and couldn't help the small smile that escaped. Even if it was only to make it look like everything was normal, his touch was still comforting to her. The minute they were inside, Hiccup let go of her and walked upstairs. Astrid sighed and followed, but then she felt a wave of nausea and ran outside. This was the seventh time she'd thrown up that day and she knew she couldn't hide it for much longer. She had to tell Hiccup, whether she wanted to or not. She threw up again before she was able to make it back inside. She took a deep breath and walked upstairs.
"What took you so long?" Hiccup asked as he took off his prosthetic.
"I just needed a minute alone," she replied and walked into the bathroom to change. She pulled on a soft pair of leggings and one of Hiccup's old shirts. She walked back into the room and saw Hiccup sitting at his desk looking at some papers. "Hiccup, I need to talk to you about something."
"What is it?" He replied, not bothering to look at her. She sighed and walked over to him.
"Hiccup please, I'm tired of fighting all the time," she pleaded. He looked up at her, and they sat down on their bed. "I know we're busy, but we can't keep fighting like this. It's not good for either of us, especially not me." Hiccup looked at her curiously and rested a hand on her cheek.
"You're sick aren't you?" He said sadly. "I'm sorry, I should have been paying more attention."
"No, I was hiding it from you and I shouldn't have," Astrid replied and shook her head. "But I'm not actually sick."
"Astrid you're pale as a ghost, what else-"
"I'm pregnant, Hiccup. It's morning sickness." His eyes widened and immediately looked down at her stomach.
"Why didn't you tell me?" he asked and looked up at her sadly.
"I never had the time to. Then we started fighting and I didn't think it was best to tell you just yet," she said and looked down at her hands resting in her lap. Hiccup gently lifted her chin to look up at him.
"I'm sorry, for everything." She smiled at him and grabbed his hand.
"So am I," she replied softly. "I should have told you right away, and maybe we wouldn't have fought as long." He leaned down to kiss her and she immediately kissed back. This was the first time they'd kissed in days and they both missed it.
"I love you," Astrid breathed out and leaned her forehead against his.
"I love you too," Hiccup said and rested a hand on her stomach. "Both of you." She smiled and placed her hand over his. No matter how big their fights were, they would always come back to each other.

Just a quick update. Arranged Marriage was technically a one shot but a lot of people really liked it on my Instagram so I'll probably write more one shots in that world as well. I'm a sucker for anything royalty related so a hiccstrid royalty au is a definite win for me. Also, thank you so much for almost 13k😱