Blind Illness

(About a year after httyd3)

    "Are you sure it's only temporary?" Astrid asked, her voice filled with worry. Gothi nodded with an encouraging smile. Zephyr had contracted eel pox but unfortunately it was also in her eyes causing her to temporarily lose her eyesight. Gothi explained that she needed to keep her eyes closed for the next ten days and apply an herb cloth on her eyes every two hours for the first week.
    "Thank you Gothi," Hiccup said and followed her downstairs. Astrid sat beside Zephyr's bed and felt her forehead again. Her fever had gone down, but obviously the main concern now was her eyes. She started to stir and reached out for someone's hand.
    "How are you feeling sweetie?" Astrid asked gently and grabbed her hand.
    "Scared," the little girl sniffled. "I can't tell whether it's day or night. Or if my eyes are open or closed. Are you sure I'll be able to see again?"
    "Gothi seemed pretty sure as long as you keep them closed and we put herb cloths over them." Hiccup walked back in and sat down beside his wife on the end of the bed.
    "Well we'll both be here until your better," he said and was thankful she couldn't see how worried he was. She was a strong little girl, but when she saw either of her parents worried that's when she really got scared.
    "Where's Nuffink?" She asked and pulled her blankets up higher.
    "He's staying with Grandma and Grandpa until you get better so he doesn't get sick too," Astrid answered.
    "What about Zara?"
    "She's staying in our room so you're far apart but she's too little to be away from me just yet," Astrid explained. They wished it was possible for Zara to go with Nuffink, but she was only three months old and still needed so much attention from her parents, especially Astrid. Sure enough Zara started crying.
    "You want me to get her?" Hiccup asked.
    "No, she's hungry, I got it," Astrid replied and reluctantly let go of Zephyr's hand.
    "Dad?" Zephyr asked after a few minutes.
    "I'm here," Hiccup said gently and grabbed her hand.
    "I'm scared Dad. What if I don't get better? I want to see Zara get bigger and see the dragons again." She was trying her best not to cry and it broke her father's heart.
    "Hey, it's okay Zeph," he said and pulled her into his lap. "You know your mom understands what you're feeling right now."
    "How?" She asked and snuggled against his shoulder as he wrapped her blanket around her.
    "When we were living on Dragon's Edge she got stuck in a storm and lightning struck right in front of her."
    "What? She didn't tell me that." Zephyr seemed shocked that there was something about her mother she didn't know.
    "There's a lot of stories we haven't told you," Hiccup said teasingly. "What would we have to not sound boring for the rest of your life if we told you all of our interesting stories at once." She laughed a little which was the first sign of improvement she'd shown.
    "How did she get her sight back?" She asked getting back on topic.
    "Actually very similarly to how Gothi's healing you." At that moment, Astrid came back in the room.
    "I didn't think I would say this at the time but I'm so glad I went blind that day," she said and sat down beside them.
    "You are? Why?"
    "Because that's when your dad and I started dating."
    "Really? I thought you liked each other since you were fifteen."
    "Well, we did but we just took awhile before we actually started dating," Hiccup explained.
    "Chicken," Zephyr mumbled.
    "Hey, I heard that little missy," Astrid teased and tickled her ribs gently making Zephyr giggle. "Your dad never gave up on me even though I felt completely useless. He stayed with me until I got my eyesight back and he was the first person I saw again."
    "I wonder who the first person I see will be," Zephyr said hopefully. Hiccup and Astrid exchanged smiles. Their tough girl would be just fine.

    Long time no see!! I'm so excited to have something to post, you have no idea. The idea for this one kind of came from a book I read when I was little called the Five Little Peppers and How They Grew. I didn't make the connection until either partway through or after it was finished😄 I'm currently working on a fall one shot that should give you all the fluffy hiccstrid feels. Also, I have it set up where there could potentially be a part two around Christmas time so you'll have to let me know if that's something you'd be interested in after you read it. I would love if it was up next weekend, but school has really been triggering my anxiety lately and I'm trying to get ahead before I go on vacation next month. Anyway, I hope you have a blessed week😀