Hiding Something

It's only been two days since Toothless left to find the Light Fury, and Hiccup hasn't stopped worrying. Initially, Astrid thought this would be the perfect opportunity to spend time alone together, which hadn't really happened in over a month, but now she was just trying to stay out of his way. It had gotten to the point where she would actually hide from him, though there was another reason as well. She found the perfect spot to train, and it was also a great hiding place.
"What are you doing sneaking around?" Valka asked coming up behind her in the woods. Astrid jumped and dropped her dagger making her jump even more trying to get away from it. "Someone's jumpy. Is anything wrong?"
"What? No, why would you think something's wrong?" Astrid replied a little too quickly. It was painfully obvious that something was going on that she wasn't sharing and Valka was not about to let it go.
"Uh huh, care to try that answer again but this time with the truth?" Astrid sighed and sat on the stool she had brought
"I can't." Valka nodded and sat beside her. "It's not that I don't want to, I'm just afraid everyone will hate me." Her hands were shaking now and Valka gently grabbed them to try to calm her down.
"You know that's not true." In the short time she had known Astrid, she had come to see her as the daughter she never had. Of course it was a nice bonus that she eventually would be her daughter. "It's not true for me and certainly not true for Hiccup." Astrid started shaking even more when she said that.
"He might if he knew."
"If he knew what? Astrid you're a nervous wreck keeping this inside. If you don't want me to tell Hiccup I won't." Astrid stood up and started pacing as she tried to figure out how to explain everything that was going on.
"I umm..... I'm sick, sort of," Astrid said but she sounded unsure of what she was saying.
"Why would he be mad at that?" Valka asked, still confused about why she was so nervous.
"He might be mad because I didn't tell him, or the fact that I'm sick."
"I understand the you not telling him part, but you can't help that you're sick."
"I could have helped it a couple months ago," Astrid said plainly.
"You've been sick for- wait. Are you.... are you pregnant?" She finally broke down in tears and Valka rushed to her side, hugging her gently until she calmed down.
"I told you he'll hate me," she choked out.
"He'll do no such thing. And you can't blame yourself entirely for this either."
"I can't believe this is really happening," Astrid groaned as the two walked further into the woods. "We agreed not to........ but that stupid drink....... I ran back to my parents house the next morning because I was so humiliated..... I can't even remember what happened that night." Valka patiently listened to her scattered thoughts and soon realized that she had been hiding this for much longer than she thought.
"Wait, how long ago was this?" Valka asked once Astrid paused for a moment.
"Long enough that part of the reason I was hiding was so Hiccup wouldn't notice that I'm not exactly flat anymore." She tightened her shirt and sure enough there was the tiniest bump peeking through. "I had to loosen my clothes a few days ago, so hopefully that will hide it for awhile."
"I promised I wouldn't tell him and I won't, but you really should."
"He's so worried about Toothless right now and-"
"And he needs to be worrying about you and his child! The longer you hide it the more upset he'll be. How long have you known?" This was the question Astrid had been dreading most of all.
"Three weeks. I was a little over a month along when I finally put two and two together about why I'd been so sick." Valka stared at her in shock. She couldn't believe she'd been hiding this for so long.
"You have to tell him." Astrid nodded but couldn't look up at her. This was her child's grandmother and somehow that made the whole situation worse.
"I'll try to, but not until everything is fixed with Toothless. This can't be a casual conversation, and until he calms down that's all it can be." Valka nodded, unfortunately agreeing with everything she was saying.
.
.
.
.
(Flash forward to right after the dragons went to the hidden world)
.
.
.
.
The rest of the village started going back to their houses and tents but the original riders stayed behind. It was hard for everyone, but especially for them. They had been the first dragon riders on Berk and the ones to show the rest of the village that dragons could be their friends.
The dragons were barely visible on the horizon, but none of them moved. Astrid finally broke and stepped closer to Hiccup, helping him stand a little easier since he still didn't have his prosthetic.
"I'm proud of you," she whispered and rested her head on his shoulder. He held her hand tightly and she could feel tears dripping onto her arm. "Come on, we need to find you a new leg and clean up that cut on your arm." (A/N I had to add in some injury so since his armor was messed I figured a cut arm would work. Okay back to the story) He reluctantly nodded and they slowly headed back toward the village, the other riders not far behind them.
"I don't know what to do," Hiccup said softly and she could hear his voice breaking.
"You're not alone, Hiccup. I promise you that." She helped him into his tent and he told her where to find the spare prosthetic. She grabbed some water and a cloth while he attached the new leg. "I need to clean that cut, I'm going to go change while you get off the rest of your armor." She went back to her tent and quickly changed into a loose shirt, which of course she had stolen from Hiccup, and a fresh pair of leggings. Before going back out, she lifted her shirt and looked at her stomach. It was time.
"Wish me luck," she whispered and pulled her shirt back down before walking back to Hiccup's tent. He was sitting at his desk drawing something, trying to distract himself as best as he could.
"That was quick," he said trying to sound casual, but not fooling her for a second.
"Nice try but I know you a little too well to fall for that," she replied and grabbed the water and cloth before sitting beside him. "It doesn't look too bad thankfully." She cleaned off the dried blood and saw that very little was his own.
"It doesn't really hurt," he said without looking up from whatever he was drawing.
"What are you so focused on?" She asked, peeking over his shoulder.
"Just trying to distract myself mainly." She nodded and went to go rinse off the cloth and pour out the water. She went back inside and sat quietly beside him.
"Are you going to tell me what's bothering you or keep pretending that I haven't noticed?" He asked suddenly. She didn't realize that her expression had been so obvious.
"Oh, uh...... yeah, we probably should talk about that." Something about how hesitant she was really got his attention. He looked at her with a worried expression, and she wished she could say that everything was fine. But she knew it wasn't. "Before I say anything, I want you to know that I didn't exactly want to hide this from you. I just didn't know how to tell you." He looked even more worried now.
"Astrid, now you're scaring me, what's going on?"
"Do you remember that night after the drinks at the Great Hall?" He nodded.
"You mean the one neither of us could remember the next day?"
"Yeah, but we figured out what-" she cut herself off and tried to steady her voice. "You're going to hate me," she said softly.
"No matter what, I could never hate you," he said gently, grabbing one of her shaky hands.
"I- I'm pregnant, Hiccup." He stared in shock for a moment before nodding slowly. "Are you mad?"
"No, but I wish you would have told me sooner. That was two months ago and you're just now telling me." She could hear he was upset, but he was telling the truth; he wasn't angry.
"I wanted to, but I just couldn't figure out how. It took awhile before I could really process it myself." He stood up and walked around the tent trying to take in what he had just heard. "Hiccup, please say something." He paused before walking back and grabbing her hands, pulling her up with him.
"I love you," he said softly and leaned his forehead against hers.
"R-really?" She couldn't believe it. After keeping this from him for so long, he still loved her?
"You really think you could stop me?" He asked with a smile. She buried her face in his shoulder and wrapped her arms around him. "You're amazing you know that?" She looked up at him and shook her head.
"Not without you," she said softly. "I really meant it what I said. I'm the person I am today because of you." He smiled and kissed her head as she rested her head against his chest.
"I guess you'll just have to stay with me forever then." She looked up abruptly. Had she heard correctly or was pregnancy brain affecting her hearing.
"Did you just-"
"Don't leave me hanging," he teased.
"You're such a dork, yes!" Over the next few weeks they were busy building New Berk as well as planning the biggest event of the century. The long awaited wedding of Hiccup and Astrid.

Well that took forever to write😄 I've some fun one shots coming soon including the Disney one I told you about. I'm super excited for you to read it, but first I have to actually finish it. I hope you all have a blessed week😀