Waiting for You

The long awaited part 2 of Living Without You is finally here!!!!!!

5 months later
.
.
.
.
"Astrid, you can't go," Heather argued for the tenth time that morning.
"Heather, I'm Chieftess I have a job to do," Astrid argued as she stood up from her chair.
"And I'm telling you that at eight months pregnant you have no business leaving this house. You know who else would agree with me?" Astrid crossed her arms, but sat back down. Every once in awhile when she was pushing herself too hard, Heather would pull the 'what would Hiccup want you to do' card and most of the time it would work.
"Uh oh, I take it she's staying home?" Valka said when she walked in and saw the expression on Astrid's face.
"She cheated," she mumbled.
"Oh my Thor you know some days you're worse than Isaac, and he's only ten months old," Heather replied sassily.
"And apparently there are three children who live here," Valka laughed.
"Four," Astrid corrected and pointed to her huge stomach.
"And number four is why you're staying put," Valka said in a firm 'mom' tone. She had always viewed Astrid as her daughter, but those feelings amplified when she found out she was pregnant. If her son couldn't be there to take care of her, then she made sure that she was. And with Heather and Evan living with them for awhile, Astrid and the baby were well taken care of, probably more than she really wanted.
"I know, I know," Astrid said and held her hands up in defeat. "I can't win against you two."
"Oh we're way easier than Hiccup would be," Heather replied which made all of them laugh.
"You have a point," Astrid conceded with a slightly sad smile. "I wish he was here." Valka looked at Heather and signaled that she would talk to her. Heather nodded and left to go take care of Isaac. Valka went over to the couch and sat beside her daughter-in-law
"Did you know that Stoick missed Hiccup's birth?" She said after a moment.
"Really?" Astrid said with a disbelieving chuckle.
"Just barely, but he did. Oh he was furious. I was sure he was going to take an axe to every Viking who made him miss it." Astrid burst out laughing at that.
"Okay that I can believe," she got out eventually, holding her stomach where the baby was kicking aggressively.
"I know this is hard, but you can do this. Hiccup believes in you and he'd want you to do the same."
.
.
.
.
.
4 months later
.
.
.
.
.
"I know Zephyr, I'm coming," Astrid said gently as she got out of bed to attend to her screaming daughter. "Did you have a nightmare?" She asked as she picked her up and held her head against her shoulder. She walked around the room gently bouncing her. "Your daddy would chase all those nightmares away if he was here. I can't wait for you to meet him.
After a couple minutes, Zephyr was starting to fall asleep again, but if Astrid tried to put her down she would start crying all over again. Eventually she gave up and climbed back in bed, making a little barrier so Zephyr couldn't roll off the bed on accident. She slowly laid back down and shifted Zephyr so she was beside her but still pressed against her.
"Goodnight baby girl," she whispered before they both fell asleep.
.
.
.
.
.
10 months later
.
.
.
.
.
"Come on Zephyr, you can do it," Heather encouraged. The one year old was holding onto her mom's fingers and trying to decide if she wanted to take a step forward.
"Go on Zeph, walk to aunt Heather," Astrid said and kissed her cheek. She took a tentative step, still holding her mom's hands tightly. Astrid carefully pried her fingers from her daughters grasp and watched her take a step on her own.
"There you go!" Heather exclaimed.
"Good job Zephyr! Look at you!" Astrid said excitedly, feeling tears fill her eyes. Her baby girl was growing up on her and she was not ready for it.
.
.
.
.
.
3 years later
.
.
.
.
.
"I want to go outside look for dragons!" Four year old Zephyr said excitedly.
"Maybe later Zeph, if grandma is with you," Astrid replied. Her meetings usually left little time for her to spend with her daughter so she treasured every second she got.
"Why can't I go with you? I promise I'll be good." Astrid was about to say no, but the look on Zephyr's face melted her heart. She was finally starting to get to the age where she realized that she didn't have a father like all the other kids and the result was her being extra clingy.
"Okay, but this is a special occasion not an all the time thing," Astrid conceded. Zephyr squealed excitedly and jumped into her mom's arms.
"How long is it until I can meet daddy?" She asked suddenly. Astrid smiled sadly and hugged her tightly.
"Not much longer baby, are you excited?"
"Yes! I want him to teach me to draw!"
"You're already such a good artist Zephyr, definitely not something you got from me." She loved seeing all the different aspects of Zephyr's personality come through, especially when they reminded her of Hiccup.
.
.
.
.
.
2 years later
.
.
.
.
.
"Mom wake up!" Zephyr said as she jumped on top of her.
"Zephyr, the sun is barely up," Astrid replied sleepily.
"But Dad comes back today! We can't be late!" Zephyr argued.
"We don't know exactly when he's coming back, and we can't just stand outside waiting all day."
"But Mom," Zephyr whined.
"Don't 'but mom' me. I promise we won't miss when your dad comes back. I've been waiting longer than you have remember." She pulled Zephyr against her and tickled her sides. This was the last day she would have to be Zephyr's only parent and the feeling was bittersweet. Of course she would still be her mom, but she had a sneaking suspicion that her daughter was going to become a daddy's girl. She was determined to enjoy the last few hours with her baby before their family was finally complete.
"How about we have breakfast, then go to the cove to have a picnic and go swimming," Astrid suggested as a compromise. This seemed to please the six year old because she ran back into her room to change out of her pajamas. Astrid laughed at how eager she was and reluctantly got out of bed herself.
After hours of playing and swimming Zephyr's energy was finally running out and she was out like a light on the picnic blanket.
"So that's where you two went," Valka said when she found them.
"She tried so hard to stay awake, but she was just so excited that she fell asleep," Astrid replied, smiling at her sleeping daughter.
"Shouldn't you two be heading for the cliffs?"
"I don't really want to wake her. I thought it might be fun if when she woke up he was here."
"I think that's probably the best choice," Valka agreed. "Especially since she's not the only one who's going to be surprised today." For the past month, Astrid had been trying to figure out the best way to tell her husband, who hadn't seen her in seven years, that he has a daughter.
"Oh believe me, I've thought about that, it's all I've been thinking about recently. I'm not worried, but I am nervous."
"You have a right to be, but it's probably time for you to go. I'll stay here with her." Astrid nodded gratefully and placed a gentle kiss on Zephyr's head before going to see her husband for the first time in seven years.
The walk to the cliff seemed endless, especially with the sun quickly going down. Finally she was standing in the exact spot where they said goodbye all those years ago. It kept getting darker and darker until she was about ready to give up and go home when she saw the faintest shadow moving in the distance. It came closer and closer until she could finally see who it was.
"He's here," she breathed out, tears already filling her eyes. Toothless landed and it took all of five seconds for Hiccup to jump off and pull her into is arms. "Please tell me I'm not dreaming," she said through her sobs.
"You're not dreaming," Hiccup said softly. They stayed there just holding each other and crying. "I'm never leaving you again."
"You'd better not," she replied and looked up at him. "We need you too much." She wondered if the subtle word change would slip his notice, but of course it didn't.
"What do you mean we?" He asked as he tried to stop his tears.
"There's a little girl who's been waiting to meet you for six years." Hiccup stared at her in shock, and understandably so. He was expecting to come home to a wife, but apparently he was coming home to a daughter as well.
"Astrid are you serious?"
"You have a daughter, Hiccup." He couldn't speak. All he could do was kiss her and let the tears fall. After all these years of waiting, he found out that he was coming home to an even better life than he could have imagined.
"Can- can I see her," he asked after they both stopped crying enough to get out a few words. She nodded and grabbed his hand, leading him toward the cove. The minute Valka saw them she stood up and ran toward them. She hugged her son so tightly he could barely breathe.
"Hi mom," he said softly and felt tears against his shoulder.
"Welcome home," she said and smiled at him, the tear stains visible all down her cheeks. Astrid snuck around them and gently shook Zephyr's shoulder.
"Mom?" She said sleepily.
"Hey sweetie," Astrid said and pulled her into her lap. "There's someone who wants to see you." Zephyr gasped. She looked over and saw someone walking toward them beside her grandma.
"Dad!" She ran and jumped into his arms. It didn't matter if she had never met him before, all that mattered was that this was her father. He held her tightly against him and promised himself that he would never let go again.

I hope you guys enjoyed part 2. I know you've been waiting for it and I can't thank you enough for being so patient with me these past few weeks. Covid through everything I thought was going to happen this fall has been completely rearranged and it's a lot to process both physically and emotionally. I've enjoyed having a slower week and have spent the majority of my time reading Percy Jackson. I know I'm waaaaaaay behind since I'm only just now reading it for the first time at 19, but better late than never right😄 Life starts back to semi normal this week so we'll see how much I can write. I have some fun one shots in the works and I'm really excited to share them with you. I hope you have a wonderful week😀