Unspoken Words

Silent communication.  Vikings believed this only happens when you are destined to be with someone, whether romantically or platonically.  This was most common in twins, really close siblings, or sometimes between a child and the parent they're closest to.  Very few people on New Berk had this "gift", but even more uncommon was finding it in two people who weren't blood related.  In fact, only two people on the entire island fit into that category, and it just so happened that they were Chief and Chieftess.
    "Are you sure we should try to form an alliance with them?" Eret asked uncertainly at a meeting.  One of the nearby islands was known for causing trouble and the people of New Berk were rather nervous about it.  Hence the reason for this special meeting to discuss how they were going to handle it.  "Maybe send a few scouts to see what the people are like."  Hiccup was looking at the map, deep in thought.  He looked up briefly and saw Astrid staring at him.  She looked down at the island and somehow he knew exactly what she meant.
    "We'll start by sending a small ship, just to get to know the Chief, and they'll find out if we should pursue an alliance or not.  That way we have no worries of them questioning our intentions like we might with the scouts," Hiccup said, giving no indication that the idea had come from his wife.
    "Excellent decision Chief," Eret said and nodded.
    "Not my idea," Hiccup replied and gestured toward Astrid.
    "But she didn't even say anything!" Snotlout exclaimed.  Astrid just shrugged, there wasn't really a way to explain it that he would understand.  "Oh you're doing that annoying eye thingy aren't you," he said and pointed between the two.
    "We've tried to explain it to you before, we don't know how we know we just do," Hiccup said, obviously tired of constantly trying to explain silent communication to someone who had problems with regular communication.
    "There's a reason we call them the power couple," Tuff chimed in.
    "But they were doing this even before they were dating!" Snotlout exclaimed.
    "That just proves that they were destined to be together," Fishlegs gushed.  He had always been one of the biggest supporters of his friends including the relationship between Hiccup and Astrid.
    "Okay, I think it's time to break," Hiccup said, knowing that there was no way they were getting back on track.  "We'll continue this tomorrow."  They all left the Great Hall and headed to their homes.
    "How did we end up as the topic of discussion?" Astrid asked while she was cooking dinner (don't worry, she has actually learned to cook).
    "It was like being on the Edge right after they found out we were dating all over again," Hiccup said and set out some plates.  "I guess it's because most of them have never been in a relationship before, but that still doesn't explain why it came up again today."  Astrid seemed to be lost in thought because she didn't respond.  Either that or she was just uncomfortable.  Even after three years together, she still preferred to keep their relationship just between them and didn't like it when other people, outside of family of course, brought it up.  She wasn't embarrassed about their relationship, she just felt that it was something special and she didn't want it to be treated as anything different.
    "It could be because none of them are married," she finally said.  "They're probably curious and somehow think we have all the answers even though we've only been married for five months."
    "Yeah you're probably right," Hiccup agreed then laughed as a thought stuck him.  "I guess that means we'll have to go through this again when we have kids."  Astrid froze, and it didn't escape Hiccup's notice.  "Hey, you okay?"  He wrapped his arms around her and waited for her response.  She turned around and avoided looking directly at him.  "You can tell me."  He gently lifted her face so she had no choice but to look at him.
    "I think we should start bracing for those questions," she said softly.  "I'm pregnant, Hiccup."  His jaw dropped before slowly spreading into a smile.
    "Are you sure?  Are you feeling okay?  Do you need to stop working?"
    "Hiccup calm down, I'm fine, we're both doing just fine," she laughed already seeing how he was going to act throughout her pregnancy.  He stared at her and she knew exactly what he was thinking.  "I love you too."