Thinking Back

"Can we please go outside now?"  Zephyr begged her mother.  The two Haddock children had been stuck inside for the past two days and they were going a little bit crazy.  Winters on New Berk were always harsh, but Astrid was still reluctant to let them go out without having someone watch them.  However, she needed to learn to trust them as well.  Zephyr was more than capable of taking care of herself and her brother, and they would only be around the house anyway in case of an emergency.
    "Alright, but just for a little while and don't go too far," she conceded and was practically run over by the two scrambling to get out the door.  She sighed and sat on the couch, deciding to use this time to relax.  She reached over and grabbed one of the books that was sitting on the side table.  Both of her kids loved books which was definitely something they got from Hiccup.  As she flipped through it, she realized that this was a sort of diary Hiccup wrote while they were on the Edge.  How had she not known about it until this moment?  As she read through the entries, she was able to pinpoint which ones were written before and which ones were written after they got together.  She must have lost track of time because while she was reading, Hiccup came inside, followed by Zephyr and Nuffink.
    "Go on upstairs and put on warmer clothes," he said to the shivering children.  They nodded and went up to their rooms.  Astrid still hadn't looked up from her book, and when Hiccup sat beside her, she jumped.  "That must be an interesting book."
    "Oh sorry, I just got distracted I guess," she said with a laugh.
    "What's the book?"
    "You should know, you wrote it."  She handed the book to him and watched as recognition struck him.  "Why didn't you tell me about it?"
    "Oh, well I guess I just didn't think it was important," he replied nonchalantly.  "I mean it happened so long ago."  She smiled and leaned against his shoulder.
    "Oh it wasn't so long ago," she said with a contented sigh.  "I can't believe how much has changed since then."  Zephyr and Nuffink came back downstairs and played quietly on the other couch.
    "We're married for one thing," Hiccup said and kissed her head.
    "And three children," Astrid said and glanced up at him.
    "Oh you must be tired.  Astrid, we have two kids."  She pulled back and smiled at him, shaking her head.
    "No, I meant three."  She grabbed his hand and pressed it against her stomach.
    "You're-"  He couldn't process what she was telling him.
    "I guess you just couldn't stand having your best friend beat you by having more kids so you had to make it even."  Hiccup looked down at her stomach and smiled widely.
    "I guess it's a good thing we kept all of their baby stuff," he said and laughed a little.  "How are you feeling about all of this?"  She shrugged and looked down at her flat stomach.
    "I really don't know," she answered truthfully.  "I mean I'm excited, but I will admit that I'm not looking forward to going through morning sickness and labor again."  Hiccup laughed a little and watched as Zephyr and Nuffink chased each other around the house.  "But I can't wait to meet this new little person.  Even though I've already done it twice, I still can't quite wrap my head around the fact that there's actually a human being growing inside me."
    "You can't believe it?  How do you think I process it and I'm not the one that's carrying them," Hiccup said making Astrid laugh.
    "What are you talking about?"  Zephyr asked, out of breath from chasing her brother.  Nuffink walked up beside her, equally out of breath, and waited for their parents answer.  Hiccup looked at Astrid to make sure he could tell them.  She nodded and grabbed his hand.
    "You're going to have a little brother or sister," Hiccup said, smiling widely.  Zephyr gasped and hugged her mom excitedly.  Nuffink took a little bit longer to process what was happening since he had never had a younger sibling before.  "What do you think of that Nuffink?"
    "Where's the baby?"  He asked with his arms crossed.
    "It's in Mommy's stomach!"  Zephyr said excitedly and grabbed his arm pulling him over to her.  "See."  She pointed to Astrid's stomach, trying to make her brother understand.  He stared at her curiously before it finally started to click.
    "When will the baby be here?"  He asked and climbed onto his father's lap.
    "In about seven months," Astrid replied which shocked Hiccup.
    "You're two months along already?!"  He exclaimed.  "But that would mean-"
    "Baby number three came right after we saw the dragons again."  Zephyr and Nuffink asked about a hundred more questions, and their parents had never seen them so excited about something other than flying.