Father and Daughter

The war against the dragon hunters was finally over, and the riders were on Berk, getting some much needed rest. Stoick was starting to recover as well, and of course he couldn't be more proud of his son when he heard what happened while he was unconscious.
"I must say, you've done well," Stoick said, smiling at his son and his betrothed. Since they arrived on Berk, Hiccup and Astrid were rarely separated, and he knew exactly why. Anytime he and Valka had to fight in any major battles, they were always inseparable afterwards. It's hard knowing that the person you love most could've died, and sometimes the fear of what could have happened was just too much to handle.
"So, are you going to stay on the Edge?" Hiccup and Astrid exchanged a look before he replied.
"No, we'll go back to relocate the dragons, but then we'll come home to stay." Astrid grabbed his hand, and smiled encouragingly. She knew this would be harder for him than for any of them. She noticed the dark circles under his eyes and frowned. He looked at her curiously, not sure what was wrong. "What?"
"You haven't been sleeping," she said, the frown not leaving her face.
"She's right, son," Stoick agreed. "You should go get some rest." Hiccup opened his mouth to object, but seeing the death glare from Astrid he decided he'd better not.
"Fine, but just for-"
"Just go," Astrid said and shoved him toward the stairs. "We're not going anywhere." He shook his head before going upstairs.
"Alright, I've heard his side now you tell me, how is he really doing?" Stoick asked, sitting up slightly. Astrid smiled a little sadly.
"He's Hiccup," she shrugged. "He thinks he has to be everyone and do everything at all times. I try to help, but I think he feels that it would be a burden for me."
"Knowing my son that's exactly what he thinks," Stoick agreed. "At some point he'll have to realize that it's okay to have help. There's a reason why I have a council."
"I hope you're right. I hate seeing him so stressed all the time, especially when I know I can help." He couldn't help but smile as she spoke. It was at moments like these that he could really see how much she cared for Hiccup. He had no doubt that they would be two of the best leaders Berk had ever seen.
"He'll come around, lass. Don't give up hope just yet." She smiled gratefully. Over the past few years, she had come to view Stoick as a second father, and she looked forward to him actually becoming her father in the future. "He loves you, ya know." She blushed a little and nodded.
"And I love him. Probably more than he realizes," she admitted with a chuckle, though it slowly turned into a yawn.
"You should get some rest too," Stoick said gently. "It's exhausting keeping my son from getting killed." Astrid laughed loudly at that.
"Are you sure you don't need anything? Food, water, or-"
"I'll be fine lass, I promise." She smiled gratefully before going upstairs. She wasn't the least bit surprised to see that Hiccup was already out like a light, and Toothless curled up in the corner with Stormfly. Astrid crept quietly over to the bed, trying to avoid any creaking boards that might wake someone. She carefully scooted beside Hiccup, and as if he knew she was there he rolled onto his back with his arm out for her to rest against him.
"How?" She whispered before resting against his shoulder.
"Is Da-" he mumbled.
"Shh, he's fine, go back to sleep," she whispered and made herself more comfortable against him. He hugged her tightly before falling back asleep again. This was the first time in months that she had seen him so relaxed, and it in turn eased her mind as well. She had to watch him deal with the stress of everything going on with the hunters and it definitely took a toll on her.
"I love you," she whispered before starting to drift off. Meanwhile downstairs, Stoick was thanking the gods that there was someone who would love and care for his son long after he was gone. It was a nice bonus that he already considered her to be the daughter he never had.

Umm wow 21K views you guys are insane!! Thank you so so much for all your sweet comments and for reading my stories. Knowing that something I enjoy can make other people happy means the world to me. I hope you're all staying safe. I hope you have a wonderful weekend😀