Awkward Conversation

(Rtte time mid season five-ish)

After days of nonstop drilling, planning, and a few stray battles, Heather, Astrid, and Ruffnut were enjoying a much needed break away from the guys.
"What made you decide to come with us, Ruff," Heather asked curiously as she pulled her axe out of the one of the targets they had set up.
"I have to have a break from my idiot brother sometime you know," Ruff replied and promptly threw an axe directly into the center of the target in front of her.
"Wow Ruff, I'm impressed," Astrid said after seeing her throw. "I thought you were more a mace girl."
"I'm not picky. As long as it's deadly I love it." Astrid nodded, reminded that she was still a Thorston after all. The three chatted about various things, mostly weapons, before Ruff changed the topic drastically.
"So Astrid, you're no longer a single woman," she said mischievously. Astrid froze, she'd been afraid someone would bring this up.
"Uh huh, what about it?" She asked skeptically.
"What's it like? I mean apart from kissing all the time."
"We don't kiss all the time," Astrid mumbled, her face heating up. Ruff and Heather both gave her a look that said 'I don't believe that for a second, but whatever you say.'
"Well?" Ruff insisted when Astrid didn't say anything else for a few minutes. She looked up to see two very eager faces waiting for her response.
"It's amazing," she said finally, trying her best not to blush. "Seeing a whole new side to someone you thought you knew so well, and then he surprises you."
"Do go on," Heather chimed in, eager to hear about the couple she had been rooting for since the first time she met them years ago.
"Are you telling me that 'boss man' has a soft side?" Ruff added eagerly.
"Oh yeah," Astrid laughed. "It feels like I haven't seen much else for the past four months. He's the serious leader around everyone else, but when it's just us he's a completely different person." Ruffnut seemed to be deep in thought about something.
"What's the thinking face for?" Heather asked, jabbing her with her elbow.
"You know," she began, looking at Astrid critically. "They're going to make adorable babies." That one definitely caught Astrid off guard and the axe she was preparing to throw ended up flying into a tree.
"Whoa, whoa, whoa, let's just back up and never bring that up again," she said hoping she sounded way more confident than she felt.
"You're saying you've never discussed having kids before," Ruff pressed on, clearly ignoring her feeble attempt to change the subject. Heather was watching everything and trying her best to hide the fits of laughter that kept threatening to spill out.
"I didn't say that, I said-" but Heather was too fast for her to finish whatever her next thought was.
"You mean you HAVE talked about having kids?!" She exclaimed excitedly. Astrid had now pretty much accepted that they weren't going to let this drop anytime soon so she might as well get it over with.
"Fine yes, we've talked about it," she said, though it was still obvious she was uncomfortable. They waited in silence for her to continue. "When we talked about a potential betrothal, obviously that led to talking about the future somewhat and that's basically it."
"So?" Ruff pressed further.
"So what?"
"Do you want kids?" Astrid seemed to be deep in thought and at first they weren't sure if she'd heard or not.
"Yeah, I do," she said thoughtfully. "I hadn't really thought I would until-"
"Until Hiccup," Heather finished. She was such a different person now that she and Hiccup were together, but at the same time she was still her. He had brought out a different side of her, and it was like she had transformed. She was so much happier, even with everything going on with the hunters.
"Yeah, but I realized that even before we started dating. I saw the world from a different perspective, quite literally, and it made me rethink things. I didn't necessarily see my future with him at the time, but I definitely knew that it would be different from what I'd thought." By this point, Heather was practically squealing and Ruff just stared, her jaw dropping in shock. "What?" Astrid asked, not understanding her expression.
"I've never heard you talk like that before," Ruff got out eventually. "Tell us about your first kiss!" She demanded.
"Isn't there something you'd rather hear about than my personal life?" Astrid asked and rolled her eyes. Both Ruff and Heather exchanges a glance before shaking their heads mischievously.
"Spill Miss Hofferson," Heather said, crossing her arms triumphantly.
"Or should we say Haddock," Ruff added, earning an eye roll from Astrid and a high five from Heather. "Astrid's in looove!"
"I never said I wasn't," Astrid replied as she jumped on Stormfly and flew off, leaving Ruff and Heather jumping and squealing behind her.

   So I didn't post yesterday. Oops. But I couldn't really decide which one shot to post for awhile so that was part of it. I'm not sure if this weekend's one shot will be up on time either because I'm going to visit family but I'll try my best. And yes, still got a bit of writer's block but I think I'm slowly getting out of it. Thank you so much for all of your kind comments, they genuinely mean so much to me. Have a blessed week😀