Chapter fifty

Now it all makes sense to June:
Why everyone treated her so sympathetically ever since they came here.
Why it feels as if someone locked away her childhood memories.
Why she always liked thistle flowers.
Why no one could see Jules.

The sadness bubbles up inside of her as she marches towards the room Jule's room. At least, that's what she has been told since she has never seen it for herself.

She angry. She only wants answers. Her footsteps echo loudly down the hall and her eyes are set on the path towards a small room on the other end of the castle.

She finally reached the black wooden door that supposedly belongs to her sister. She pushes it open to reveal spiral stairs taking her higher and higher towards the room at the top of a lonely tower.

It's as if no one has been here in ages. Cobwebs hang from every open space and the stench of dust hangs in the air making it difficult to breathe.

The room looks like it had been abandoned for years. The only spot without dust is the wooden table near the window overlooking the palace garden. It's aged as it creaks at the smallest amount of weight but is still steady because June manages to sit comfortably without damaging it.

There's a note on an old piece of parchment written with the most beautiful handwriting June has ever seen. She carefully lifts the Thistle clip that has been keeping the paper from flying out the window.

Dear June, my baby sister

I heard the ruckus and followed you to Kai. I knew he'd come clean and you'd be mad.
I'm sorry I've been lying to you, I only wanted to spend time with you. We've lost so many years that I wanted a few memories I can look back on.
The Aura of Magic gave you the sight for a limited time. That's how you were able to see me. After you cracked the riddle, it expired.

A tear trickles down June's cheek and her hand starts to shake but she continues reading.

I wish we had more time. But it was untimely ripped away from us by some man I can't even identify. All I remember is that he wore a bell around his foot like an anklet.
I know you must be wishing you could remember all the memories we shared but that will only make you sad. If prefer you to live foolish and happy rather than knowing and depressed.
The thistle clip is my object. Your next clue is the painting over my bed. I'm sorry but I cannot help you any further. Good luck.
Please thank Kai for everything he did to protect me and you.
I miss the life we could've had.
I love you more than anything.
I'm always looking out for you.

Love
your big sister, Jules

June's tears are spilling faster, leaving spots on the parchment. She puts the paper down and rubs her eyes. She sits with her hands sheltering her face for a few moments before hastily grabbing the painting and walking out.

Her face is still plastered with the sign of sadness but she will finish her mission so she can leave. She can leave this part of the world behind her. She darts towards the library.

She finds Sonii sitting in the corner closest to the door and Milo, oddly enough, on the opposite end. She doesn't bother asking why the lovers sit apart.

Sonii slowly tears her eyes away from her book when June hands her the thistle clip. She looks at June with a questioning look.

"That is the second object. Apparently the painting is the clue to the third." June says, trying and succeeding in hiding her tears from previous moments.

Sonii gets the hint and doesn't ask any questions about June. Instead she pulls out the white leather bound book and finds the next riddle which is associated with the painting.
The painting so mesmerizing that seems to wait for the right moment to capture you...

Hello once again!
I just wanted to thank you for reading thus far, I really appreciate it! You're awesome.💕
Don't forget to vote and comment.❤️
If you have a friend that will enjoy this sort of book, tag them here💜