Chapter sixty-seven

Toni's first move it to put June down on the wooden chair in the corner. He then moves to stand by Kai's side as the face the man crouched amongst multitudes of papers and a single pen. On the edge of his desk sits an hourglass of white sand and from the looks of it, the time is nearly up.

His aged face looks up and the boys are met with piercing blue eyes that don't seem human.
"I was wondering when I would get to meet the rest of you. I had a feeling it would be soon." His gruff voice coughs. He sounds as if the dust from the tower has clogged his lungs making him weak.

Before any answer can be brought to sound, the door bands open and the hag storms through. Now she is no longer the women but a four legged monster with beady red eyes and fangs lusting after blood. Her screeching voice speaks a language no tongue could produce and she attempts to pounce. Her attach is met with a powerful counterattack of the man behind the books. He waves his hands through the air and she is tosses out of the room like a ragged doll. His annoyed face implies that they won't be seeing her anytime soon.

"Your voice sounds familiar..." Toni trails off. He vaguely remembers hearing this voice from the entrance to the wishing well. He remembers how Sonii described a man behind books who very much resembles the man facing him. A old man who held the power of faith. The man that gave Milo his bracelet.

"My assumption is that Sonii made you aware of me and what I do. I think it's only fitting that your final riddle is solved by the storyteller himself." His voice is rough as if he hadn't spoken for decades even though Toni can swear he's heard his voice not too long ago.

"And what would that be?" Kai's suspicious tone stares down the man, who shows no concern whatsoever. For the first time, there's light on Kai and Ton can see the gashes and scraps against his skin. It wasn't only June who had gotten heard by that hag.

"Toni, you're the oldest right?" The storyteller completely disregards Kai's question. He smiles at Toni with wide eyes indicating that he expects something

"I need you to keep something for me." His smile grows wider as he opens his desk drawer and searches for something. It's as if he wanted the moment to be spontaneous but can't seem to find what he's looking for, almost as if he searching in an unknown world with closed eyes. At first he picks up golden leaves but subtly shakes his head as if it isn't the right moment and shoves it back quickly so no one notices it's there in the first place.

He eventually pulls out a transparent sphere smaller than his palm. He hands it over to Toni. Toni holds it delicately then brings it closer to his eye. There's a bright yellow, almost golden flame burning inside. The sphere is warm but not hot and it gives off poor light. It seems completely useless unless used as an ornament.

"That will be all." The storyteller folds his hands together and watches the three admirably. Kai returns the look but only with curiosity and a bit of unease. June is completely distracted by her gashed thigh and Toni can't help but feel his gaze forced towards the sphere.

Kai slowly moves towards June and picks her us in both arms, Toni carries her up so it's only fitting Kai carries her down. Plus, Toni doesn't seem to be aware of anything else except the sphere.

As soon as all three of their back are turned towards the door, the storyteller swiftly and silently reaches back into his desk drawer. He pulls out seven small golden leaves.

The three are nearly out the door. June peaks her gaze over Kai's shoulder and sees the storyteller smile at her. Then he blows into his palm and she sees golden specks flying towards her.
Then, she sees complete darkness.