Chapter fifty-nine

Her head is throbbing as if she had been hit with a hammer.
Every inch of her body burns as she tries to awaken her muscles from their deep slumber.
Her back feels numb but for some reason she can sense that there's something there that wasn't there before.
Her eyelids are heavy but she forces them open, leaving her squinting due to the harsh lighting.

Even though Sonii can barely see, she has a feeling that she is somewhere uncertain. The air hitting her skin feels somewhat different and little voice inside her head seems to be dropping hints that will forever remain as nothing but unexplained emotions.

Her eyes adjust to the hard light and she pulls her trembling self up and balances on her shaking legs. The room is nothing but painted in a white light coming from each and every angle.

The center of the room sticks out like a sore thumb. The chimes for a music box echoes inside her as if the speakers were mounted on her brain, luring her towards the contraption. Every step makes her fall further into the world of the uncontrollable.

Sonii feels as if her true self is being locked further and further in the dark, narrow corners of her mind. Her can control her senses but nothing more. Almost as if she's a doll and someone has decides to take her off of the display and into the dollhouse.

As if waiting for her, the moment she steps in front of the music box, the music stops and the music box opens to reveal its contents. Inside, a cloaked figurine pops up in perfectly robotic movement and stands still for a moment. Then, it's starts to twirl slowly in place. It's unnatural movements mimic that of a rusted hinge attempting to work after a decade.

It's voice is broken and raspy but that only makes it more captivating. Sonii is fixated on the figurine, as if she knows she needs to hear what it has to say.

"The fate of the furies - one of the oldest tales of Greek mythology: the wielders of destiny.
They are nothing but normal until fate plays out and the story written in the stars makes its way to paper.
There has never been a set period but it is when great power reveals itself, that the timer is set for the new comers to take office." It's voice is cheery, making the scene much more darker. To Sonii, it feels as if she's been written into some demented children's horror. And yet, she continues to listen.

"The four furies is the tail-end of the legend that seemed to have disappeared off paper.
The three furies will wield the threads of fate at the command of the fourth: the apprentice.
The apprentice: the messenger of Hecate.
The goddess herself has never made an appearance on human soil but her apprentices have convinced many great minds of her existence.
And thus, the forth is always the most powerful. Decorated with the honor of silver feathers, their fate is determined by their path in life however the fate of the furies is dealt out at birth. It is an unknowing competition for the prize of the forth, a competition to be achieved through tremendous pain and sacrifice."

The moment the figure staggers over the word 'sacrifice', it freezes and seems to have malfunctioned. Before Sonii can move a finger to access, she hears another raspy voice around her. This time, it's not robotic. It humanly but still manages to sound enchanting despite its rough tones.

"I hope this explained much to you, dear child." Sonii feels the warm breath on her ear and stiffens her neck fearing the unknown source. The figure with their face masked by the hood of their black cloak which hangs over their face.

Sonii slowly turns on the balls of her feet. She's cautious about the situation since it leaves an uneasy feeling turning in her tummy.

The figure that stands before her is covered in black from head to toe. No sign of the person beneath. Sonii can't help but feel as if the person is smirking in the shadows of her hood, she senses the figure is feeding off of her unease and confusion.

She flinches as she sees it's cloaked arms move, assuming it is to grasp her and drag her to a pit of endless darkness. Thankfully, this is just another one of her overdramatic thoughts as the figure moves towards its head.

In one swift motion, the figure slips back its hood revealing the personality beneath. The first thing any eye would catch is the sight of electric purple hair staring back at you. The locks sit like purple burning flames surrounded by the sparkles that lures the eye to multiple places.

The hair is laced with glitter...until one would look closely and come to the realization at they are glimpsing the magic of stars dressing the night sky. All depicted upon someone's head.

The figure looks up to meet Sonii's eye, leaving her amazed at the unusualness of the person's features. Apart from bright purple hair, another striking feature is the neon cat eyes which seems to complete with the brightness of the hair for the focal point of the women.

The women smiles. Her expression could be seen as proud but if one your overthink like Sonii, it comes off as mocking.

"Now, now, dear child. Is this any way to great your superior? The goddess of Magic stands before you and yet you display the etiquette of a statue." Her voice is almost whimsical if it isn't for her eyes that seem to challenge you to be disrespectful so that her real power can be shown.

This is Hecate, goddess of Magic, sole proprietor of the Aura of Magic.