18. Just a thought...?

(Herobrines' FoV)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The training went really well today. Nightmare is a great student, even tho he acts a bit over-determined when Xalphire is around. I think he likes her.

TBH, I had to go slow on him. If I had fought the way I would... I don't even want to think about it.

While I explained Nightmare what he had to do after he caught me off-guard, a flashback hit me way worse than expected. Nightmare had to pull me back into the reality since I wasn't there at all.

But that Flashback was certainly different.

I don't know why or what it meant, but it's weird. It was the flashback of the one time where my parents, Steve and I were training together. Even tho I know it won't happen again since my parents are dead, I'm almost 100% sure that this will happen again, with or without them.

Well, anyway. It's getting really dark now and I barely can see anything.

See you tommorow,

Hero.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sighed and closed the notebook, putting the pen in the page as a bookmark.

As silent as possible I put the book back into the bedside table and closed the drawer.

I snuck back under the covers and rolled to my side, staring outside the window.

Somehow I couldn't get that flashback out of my head, no matter what I did.

My thoughts went over to the Aether and the thing with Notch.

Before I could stop myself, I burried my face in the pillow and started to cry.

Every single memory hit me, the thing with Notch, the painful experience with Hollow...

My parents death.

My head shot up as I suddenly noticed something.

What happened before that the ruins collapsed? They were old, but very stable!

A sudden knock on my door ripped me out of my thoughts.

I quickly dried my tears and sighed.

"Come in."

The door opened and a figure in a dark pyjama came in, their dark, messy hair even messier than usually.

Nightmare approached and sat down next to me. I made myself sit up as well and looked into his glowing, black and white eyes.

"I heard you crying. Is everything alright?", he asked carefully.

I nodded. I didn't want to show him my pain.

It was terrible enough for me. I didn't want to pull him into this as well. He has nothing to do with this.

I suddenly felt two strong, warm arms wrapped around my torso and gasped in surprise.

Nightmare was... Hugging me?

I mean, it wasn't my first hug, but every time it feels... Weird. Like it's not supposed to happen.

There was nothing aggressive or possessive about this hug which was confusing me a little bit.

I stared at Nightmare for a moment before carefully raising my arms as well and locking them behind his back.

I felt how he pulled me a bit closer and started rubbing circles on my back.

"Crying helps a lot in such situations, Hero.", he whispered.

My body started to shake uncontrollably and I burried my face into his warm, calming shoulder.

We stayed like this for almost five minutes before he released me.

With a few deep breaths I tried to calm down. My whiskers twitched a little bit and the words started coming out of my throat before I was even able to stop them.

Nightmare sat there and listened to me all the time, not saying a word.

It felt good to tell someone what happened and what I thought. It was relieving.

After twenty minutes or so I finished. Nightmare sat there, not moving and not making a sound.

A few moments after he said: "I can understand why you feel this way. But you have to remember: Was it really Notchs' intention to hurt you? Maybe he wanted to have you near, or he wanted to make you happy. Maybe he didn't want to hurt you, but it went all different than it should."

I sniffed and mumbled: "But why wouldn't he tell me anything about it?"

Nightmare stroke carefully over my cat ears while answering: "Well, some people want to keep something as a surprise until they can reveal it. It's nothing too special, yet it can hurt if it goes wrong. I think we should go to Notch together and talk about it. Just to make sure that he had no bad intention and to solve this fight. What do you say?"

I stayed silent for a minute.

Maybe he really didn't have a bad intention... Maybe it was just an accident that I found out way too early. But what if I'm right?

I nodded slightly in response.

"It's worth a shot."

Nightmare smiled and wanted to stand up, but I touched his arm.

He turned to me and looked at me surprised.

"Hey... Can you... stay here for the night?", I whispered a bit embarrassed.

But he nodded and sat back down next to me.

"If you want me to, I will."

"Thank you."

He raised the covers a bit so I can slip under and he followed, tucking us both in.

I put my head on his shoulder as he was lying and closed my eyes.

Nightmares' soft raising and falling chest and his warm body made me drowsy and eventually fall asleep.

It's good to have someone near you who cares.

(Timeskip to the next morning)
(Xalphires' FoV)
I was already wandering through the castle towards Hero's bedroom.

Something told me that Nightmares' room would be empty, so I didn't bother to open it.

After a few moments I arrived at Hero's door and opened the door carefully.

The blinds were closed and the room was dark. I heard breathing.

Without a sound I went towards the bed and found two hills in the covers and not one.

Curious, I opened the blinds on the window, only to hear two persons groan.

I turned around and saw Hero and Nightmare sitting next to each other, both staring at me in a pissed way.

Nightmares' eyes softened as he noticed who I am.

Honestly, I didn't care about the fact that there were literally two MEN in one BED. It was more confusing that Hero looked like he cried himself to sleep.

His tail was lying next to him and his eyes were slightly red.

"Morning you two.", I greeted.
"How was your night?"

"Bad.", Hero chuckled.

"We had some issues that we had to talk about and we have to go to Notch later, but otherwise it was kinda fine.", Nightmare responded with a worried gaze at the young demon next to him.

"I have a feeling I know what this visit is about and I'll gladly come with you if it's ok.", I offered.

Hero nodded and Nightmare smiled at me. "Sure."

I left the room while saying: "I'll meet you guys in the dining room.", and went downstairs to make some breakfast.

After all, this day will solve a lot of questions.

_______________________
1178 words