15

Tommy was sitting in the drawing-room. Charles, John and Bronwyn all sat on the sofa watching Ruby blow out her candles.

He sighed and watched. His mind was on over things.

He frowned as he heard a car engine revving. He wasn't expecting any company so he knew it was a bad thing.

He stood up and rushed to his gun cabinet.

"Okay, kids lets go to bed quickly". Lizzie said rounding up all the children.

"Why who's coming?" Charles asked.

"That's the thing Charles, we don't know. We never know". She muttered.

Tommy grabbed his gun and stood by the window.

He watched as a man fell from the car all bloody and bruised.

"Tommy". Johnny shouted.

Tommy ran out with his gun pointed towards the car.

"Get out of the fucking car". Tommy said.

"Don't". Johnny moaned.

"Get out of the fucking car now, or I'll open fire". Tommy shouted.

Tommy frowned as he saw Aberama exit the car. He was holding onto Ophelia as she struggled to walk.

Tommy's blood boiled as he saw the state of his wife. Her entire face was covered in blood. The only thing he could see was her vivid green eye. The other was completely shut.

"If you're looking for traitors, there's one with his ribs mashed up". Aberama shouted.

"The mans gone fucking mad Tom". Johnny cried.

"You did this?" Tommy asked.

"With one arm and a hammer. And a mighty pain and a mighty fury. They killed him. My son. They shot him and they put him up on a fucking cross, and he's fucking dead". Aberama cried.

Ophelia was finding it hard to breath. Each moment it felt like she was slipping from Aberama's grasp.

"Who did?" Tommy asked.

His eyes wondered to Ophelia and then back to Aberama.

Aberama places Ophelia on the small wall beside the roses and reached into his pocket. Tommy raised the gun at his actions but dropped it the moment he threw him a piece of paper.

Tommy picked up the scrunched up paper and unraveled it. His blood boiled even more as he read the sloppy words on the crumpled paper.

"By orders of the Billy boys".

"Only Johnny Dogs and his kin knew where we where camped". Aberama muttered.

"No Tom. No. I swear to God, I never told a soul. I never told a fucking soul". Johnny cried.

Aberama ran towards him and and started to kick him. "How could you fucking do this? My fucking son". He cried.

Tommy threw the gun to the ground and dragged him away.

"They fucking took him from me". Aberama screamed.

"My only son". He cried trying to get out of Tommy's hold.

"Your shoulder is shattered. If you don't get it fixed you'll loose your arm". Tommy whispered.

Aberama cried. "He's gone. Fucking killed him".

Tommy grabbed his face and shouted. "Listen to me. How can a one armed man avenge the death of his son eh?" Aberama took deep breaths and looked up at Tommy. "They crucified my son for you". He muttered.

He pushed Tommy away and grabbed the gun from the ground. He pointed it towards Tommy and Johnny.

Lizzie stormed out of the house and pointed her gun in the air firing off two shots. "Get away from my house all of you". She shouted.

"Get away from my child. This is my house. And I don't want you back". She shouted. She pointed the gun towards Tommy.

Her eyes drifted to a beaten Ophelia and her eyes widened.

Tommy stormed up to her and grabbed the gun from her hands. He tipped all the bullets from the gun and then grabbed the gun from Aberama.

Aberama fell to the ground in front of Ophelia and lifted her chin. Checking if she was okay.

"If you want to take on the Billy boys, you need me alive. Everyone fucking needs me. Call an ambulance or a man will loose his fucking arm".

Lizzie walked backwards and made her way inside.

Tommy helped Johnny into the house and then rushed back outside.

Ophelia looked up at him as he knelt in front of her. "Tommy". She whispered.

He shook his head in anger and lifted her up bridal style.

"I'm here now". He whispered as he carried her into the house. A lost Aberama trailed in behind them.