18

They all walked up the steps. This was the first time Ophelia had been in the House of Parliament. She had passed it plenty of times as a child.

"So what's the strategy?" Michael asked.

"You can smile". Tommy answered pointing towards Michael.

"You....don't smile". He said to Arthur.

He looked at Ophelia and said. "And you just carry of being beautiful".

She smiled and felt her cheeks heating up.

They all made their way into Tommy's office. He sighed and sat down in his seat.

"Nice. Very nice, Tom. Hmmm. Although, I must say. I thought it would be bigger". Arthur said.

Ophelia snorted and shook her head, lighting up her cigarette and Tommy's.

"It will be". Tommy said.

"Michael, you sit". Tommy said pointing to one of the chairs in front of him.

"Arthur you stand by the window. Ophelia sit in the seat in front of him". Tommy said pointing to the side.

Ophelia smiled up at Arthur as he placed his hand on the back of the chair.

"So, who are we meeting?" Arthur asked.

"The man we are about to meet is the minister for the Duchy of Lancaster. He's also the deputy to the Chancellor Of the Exchequer and cabinet adviser to the Prime Minister of Great Britain. You've all met bad men before, the man we're about to meet is the devil". He answered.

Ophelia frowned and looked at Michael in fear.

Tommy's phone began to ring. He picked it up and said. "Yep. Send him in". He put the phone down and sat back in his seat looking at the door.

Everyone turned to look at the door.

They all stood in as he walked in.

Ophelia frowned at the man. She could swear that she had seen him before. She just couldn't remember.

"I never seem to get to meet you without your family". Oswald Mosley said.

"I understand you know a man called Jimmy McCavern". Tommy said.

"May I take a cigarette?" Mosley asked.

Tommy lifted his hand and answered. "Please". Mosley grabbed the box and pulled out a cigarette. He threw the lighted down and sat back in his seat taking a drag.

"Who on earth is Jimmy McCavern?" He asked.

"The man that did that to my wife's face". He muttered.

The man turned to look at Ophelia. He had immediately recognised her the moment he walked in.

He turned his head back as Tommy spoke.

"Over the last twelve months, you've been making approaches to various men across the country, who you think might be able to help you in your cause. McCavern is one of those men. He runs the east Glasgow shipyards. He killed an associate of mine as well as beating up my wife and breaking her left hand. I want to know what your strategy is". Tommy muttered.

Mosley looked at Arthur for a moment. "That's one of your brother yes?" He asked.

Michael nodded and answered. "Yes, and I'm his business adviser. We'd like to talk about business". Mosley turned his head to look at him.

"Michael. Michael Gray. You lost all your cousins money in America, playing the fool. A nightclub in Detroit called the Gladiator was your regular. You lost the money....and found a wife there. And then there's poor Ophelia Shelby. You know Thomas I met your wife outside that lovely pub you own. She was quite drunk so I doubt she remembers. Look at her. She is still very beautiful even more beautiful in fact but she's so self-conscious because of you. She feels unloved because you betrayed her, so she turned to drink and now she has a problem". He said turning to look at her.

She glared at him and looked away.

He smirked and looked back, Tommy.

"Then there's poor Arthur Shelby beside the window. He's afraid his wife will never return". He said.

Ophelia could hear the creaking behind her. She turned her body and her head and saw Arthur's fist clenching the back of the chair.

"My spies tell me she's been seen with another man". He tutted and took a drag from his cigarette.

"Arthur". Tommy muttered.

"Arthur". He repeated.

Ophelia jumped as he pulled the back of the chair of.

Tommy lifted his hand his eyes directed at Mosley as he said in Romanian. "His time will come".

"And bingo". Mosley said.

"Twenty seconds in and I have them speaking their wog lingo. Mr Shelby, I do have plans. I will have need of men like you. Except, of course, there is no other man like you. You, in particular, I need. But please, don't imagine I would trouble myself with turf wars. You have many enemies. Shuffle the pack and pick another card". He stood up, his eyes never leaving Tommy.

He threw a letter down on the table.

"That investigation of the dead journalist, I've made that go away. Read it and uh come back to me. Next time bring an open mind, your beautiful wife and a cigar to celebrate our union". He threw the cigarette down on the ground and stood on it.

He walked away with a smirk on his face.

Tommy stood up and placed his glasses on.

Michael stood up and grabbed a cigarette. Ophelia turned around and grabbed Arthur's hands.

Tommy threw his glasses down on the table and sat down shaking his head.

"What the fuck was that all about Tom?" Michael asked.

"Fuck. Fuck". Tommy muttered.

Ophelia quickly stood up and moved away from Arthur. He pushed her abandoned chair and stormed across the room.

"Arthur". Tommy said.

Ophelia moved away from him and stood beside Tommy.

"Do not let them get inside your head. That's exactly how these people work". Tommy shouted.

"Who the fuck are these people, hmmm? Who the fuck are they?" Arthur asked.

Tommy sighed and rubbed his face.

"I've just been invited to become the deputy leader of a brand new political party. These people say they are the future". Tommy muttered.

Ophelia frowned and looked down at her husband.

He sighed and shook his head, his hand finding her hers.