35

Ophelia sat in the bar with Finn, Harry and Isaiah. Her hand was placed on her stomach as she held her orange juice. They were sitting in the main bar as Tommy, Arthur, Michael and Polly sat in the private room.

She smiled as the three boys stood up and moved away to the private room. She decided to sit out of this family meeting.

"You okay?" Micky asked as he was cleaning a glass.

She smiled at him and nodded her head. "I'm okay. The morning sickness is killing me". She said.

Micky smiled and looked up as a man entered the bar.

"You alright mate". He said.

A tall man sat in beside Ophelia.

"Just a single whisky please". He muttered.

Micky nodded and placed the glass in front of him. He poured him the drink, took his money and walked off to talk to a regular customer.

"Your Ophelia Winterbourne aren't you?" The man asked.

She frowned and looked at him. His face was heavily scared and his long hair covered his face.

"I am". She answered.

He opened his mouth to speak but stopped.

He turned his head as Tommy stood in the doorway of the private room.

"Ophelia can we see you for a second". He said, his voice showing he was impatient.

Ophelia rolled her eyes and stood up.

As she was walking away the man grabbed her arm and stopped her.

"I need to talk to you". He said.

She frowned and ripped her arm away from him, rushing into the private room.

"You okay?" Arthur asked.

She nodded her head and sat down.

She tuned out of the conversation as Tommy spoke, her eyes were locked with the wall.

"Ophelia". Harry muttered.

He shook her arm and made her snap back to reality.

"Mhmm". She said.

"We're finished now". He said frowning. She nodded and stood up.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

She nodded her head and walked out with the rest of the family.

Her eyes darted to the bar to see the strange man gone.

She walked outside and jumped when a hand grabbed her arm.

She sighed when she saw it was Tommy.

"Can I speak to you". He said, his cigarette hanging out of his mouth. She nodded and crossed her arms.

She smiled at the family as they walked past, leaving only Ophelia and Tommy alone.

In the distance the man from the bar watched them.

"I'm sorry about taking you to that place". He said.

She sighed and nodded her head.

"Ophelia I really am sorry. It was stupid of me taking you there. I just...I guess I needed some kind of comfort I guess. The war really changed me as a person". He said.

She scoffed and muttered. "It changed a lot of people, Thomas".

He sighed and looked down at the ground.

"You only call me Thomas when you're pissed of with me". He said.

She rolled her eyes.

"And it seems like it's been like that for a while". He muttered.

She raised her eyebrow at him. "Really your only realising this now?" She asked.

He took a deep breath, trying to control his anger around her.

"First you knocked up another woman. Then you cheated on me with a bunch of fucking slags. I'm sorry that you can't control yourself every time a woman pulls down her knickers in front of you". She shouted.

Tommy sighed. "Ophelia I...". He was interrupted by an angry Ophelia.

"I haven't finished Thomas. You then fucking knock me up again and when I just think are marriage is getting back on tracks you turn around and fucking tell me you don't want me". She shouted.

He threw his hands up in the air and yelled back. "Because you left me. You didn't want me".

She shook her head seeing red. "Because instead of being there for your wife you chose to get drunk and then fucking have that bitch live in my house. You had her sleep in my bed and play mummy to my children. You weren't there for me when John died. When I had to not only care for my aunt, but three young children and my autistic brother. So how do you understand why I left you? And don't get me started on the other day. I know you had it bad in the war. And I'm so sorry that you did. But don't you forget I was a nurse? I saw all the bad things. I lost my brother and cousin because of that war". She placed her hand on her stomach and took deep breaths.

"I'm sorry Thomas but I can't see you right now. I'm don't playing second best and I'm done with these family meetings. The only time I will see you is when you collect the children and bring them home at the weekends".

And with that Ophelia stormed off leaving a defeated Tommy and a stranger following her home.