40

Bradley woke up in a cold sweat. The memories of the war coming back to him.

He got out of his bed and made his way into the kitchen, slightly jumping when he saw his sister already sitting down at the kitchen table.

"You okay?" She asked.

He shook his head and poured himself a coffee. He sat down across from her and sighed.

"I lied to you". He muttered.

She frowned and sat back in her seat. "What do you mean?" She asked.

He licked his bottom lip and looked up at Ophelia.

"When I said I was left on the battlefield it was a lie. I was brought back to camp and it hurt so bad. Have you ever been shot?" He asked.

She grabbed her mug and rolled her eyes. "I have actually. But those stories are for another day". She answered.

He licked his bottom lip before continuing. "The bullet wound hurt so bad like so bad. I would scream at night time that's how painful it was. It soon and became infected. I...I pretended to die so I couldn't be in the war anymore I just couldn't. I betrayed my men and my country". He cried.

Ophelia frowned and stood up rushing to her brother's side. She wrapped her arms around him and gently rubbed his arm.

She placed a kiss on his head and shut her eyes. She knelt down and grabbed his hand. "You didn't betray them Brad don't ever think that. You could have actually died if you didn't do what you did and you wouldn't be sitting here now would you. You, like all the other men, are so brave for fighting your country". She said.

He nodded and licked his bottom lip, tears still slowly slipping down.

"Why are you still up?" He asked.

She smiled sadly and sat in beside him, her fingers running through her hair.

"I'm confused about something". She said.

Bradley smiled slightly and said. "You can tell me. Remember when we were kids we always talked". He said.

She looked at him and nodded.

"It's about Tommy". She said.

He raised his eyebrow and nodded.

"A while ago he asked for a divorce and at that time i was certain that I didn't want it. Throughout the lies and the cheating, I still love him and I wanted us to work. But lately, that feeling has come over me where I think the divorce isn't a bad idea. I mean the children will grow up with a healthy attitude instead of seeing their parents fighting all the time. But then there's this judging feeling that keeps hitting me that is telling me not to divorce him". She muttered.

Bradley grabbed his sister's hand and let out a sigh. "My advise to you is go over there first thing tomorrow morning and slap him across the face and tell him how much you love him and how much you willing to make this relationship work. And if he says no then more fool him because I know you better then anyone else in this world Ophelia. When you want something you don't back down. And it's not healthy for the little baby is it? Now go to bed and sleep okay". He said softly.

She smiled at her brother and stood up. Her small hand was pressed on his shoulder. "I've missed you so much". She whispered before making her way up to her room.

Bradley still at the table, his hands pressed together. His eyes on the wall. He shut his eyes as he could hear the sounds of gunshots going off and men's screams.

He stood up and whacked the two mugs of the table. Shaking in anger he stormed up to his room slamming the door shut.