23

Ophelia frowned as she walked into the Garrison. A row of people where sitting down. It was as if they where waiting to be seen.

Ophelia's head turned as Arthur walked in. She smiled and walked into where Tommy was sitting.

"It's alright Mrs Connors. You can carry on. It's just me brother and wife". Tommy said.

"So tell me how it happened?" He asked.

Ophelia frowned and sat down beside Tommy. She leant forwards and rested her head on her palm.

"They where sleeping downstairs. And then my husband came home....drunk from the Marquis, even though he just lost his job. We don't have any money. Anyway he came to bed. But downstairs they must of heard a noise. They woke up. They started we, calling out". Mrs Connors said.

Ophelia turned her head and smiled at Arthur as he handed her a drink. She lighted her cigarette and looked back at Mrs Connors.

"They...they woke my husband up, and when he's drunk you don't wake him up". She said shaking her head.

"And what happened then, Mrs Connors?" Tommy asked.

Ophelia sat back in her seat and looked at her husband. It had been three days since she moved out of his house and moved back to her own. She hated to admit it but she missed living with Tommy.

"He errm, he...". She struggled to speak.

Ophelia stood up and moved beside her, holding her hand.

"It's okay, just take some breaths". She said.

Mrs Connors nodded her head. "He went downstairs. He killed them. Strangled them. All three of them". She cried.

Arthur looked up and dropped his paper.

Tommy let out a loud sigh.

And Ophelia looked at her in shock. Tears where forming in her eyes. She knew the three Connors children well.

"And you've errm...you've...you've brought their bodies here today with you?" Tommy asked.

She looked up and answered. "Proof, Mr Shelby".

She pulled out a cloth. She spread it on the table and opened it up. Three dead birds.

Arthur started to laugh in the corner. Ophelia frowned and looked up at him. "What the hell". She mouthed.

"Their singing was the only pretty thing in my life. I don't care my husband beats me, but not this". She cried.

Tommy leant forwards and said. "Mrs Connors, we have your address. We will speak to your husband. My brother here will go to the Bull Ring market today, and buy you three new goldfinches, and have them delivered to your door".

"The same colours and, you know, feathers". Arthur said.

Ophelia looked away a massive smile on her face.

"The new ones I will call Thomas, Arthur and Finn. That'll make him pause, even when he's drunk. Good day Mr Shelby". She said standing up.