24

Ophelia sighed as she smoked her cigarette. She walked down the street and smiled when she saw Arthur by a open fire.

She raised an eyebrow at Polly as she walked towards them. She was wearing no shoes.

"I'm sorry for calling the meeting here, but the location is part of the deal". Tommy said.

Arthur frowned even more. "What fucking deal?" He asked.

"How does it feel to be barefoot in the mud again Pol?" Tommy asked.

"Makes me feel young. What fucking deal?" She asked.

"Four boats. Four days. Up the grand union from Poplar to here. Half the cargo is coal and underneath the coal, pure opium crystal". He answered.

"Opium?" Polly asked.

Ophelia frowned and wrapped her coat around her even more.

"I vote against it". Polly said.

"They can't use trucks because the Chinese drivers get stopped by the police. They need to get it out of London because all the warehouses are being searched by Customs. The seven tonnes is bound for San Francisco, but the outward ship doesn't sail for seven days, from Liverpool. They need somewhere safe to store it".

Ophelia frowned feeling suddenly ill.

"I'll be back in a second". She muttered.

She rushed away and threw up. She held onto the wall for support. She frowned and wiped her mouth.

She took deep breaths and threw up even more.

She frowned when she felt a hand rub her back. She turned her head to see Tommy. "What's wrong?" He asked.

She wiped away her sick from her mouth and stood up fully.

"I don't know". She muttered tears in her eyes.

Tommy sighed and took a deep breath. He held her hand and helped her up fully.

"I think I ate something funny this morning". She muttered.

He frowned and moved her hair from her face.

"I'll bring you home okay? And then you can go upstairs and rest and I'll look after the children". He said.

She nodded and held onto him as he led her to the car.

She rested her head on the window and shut her eyes.

Tommy sighed and pulled up outside her house.

"Ophelia". He muttered.

She turned her head and looked at him.

He helped her out of the car and brought her up to her room. "I'll leave the door open okay? If you need me call me". He said.

She nodded her head and shut her eyes.

It was around 2am when she felt the sudden urge of throwing up again.

She rushed to the bathroom and started to get sick again. Tommy rushed into the bathroom and moved her hair from her face.

He gently rubbed her back. "Get it all up". He said softly.

Tears where now streaming down her face, she clinged onto the toilet bowl.

"I'm going to get you a doctor". Tommy said standing up.

Ophelia shook her head and grabbed his hand. "No please don't leave me". She cried.

He sighed and knelt down beside her. He moved her hair from her face.

"Okay". He whispered.

"Okay but if your like this tomorrow I'm getting you a doctor". He said.

She nodded her head and rested her head on the bowl.

"No don't do that". He said lifting her head up.

She looked up at her and sighed.

"Why don't you love me?" She asked.

Tommy sighed and slumped down to the ground.

"Why would you say that?" He asked.

She looked up at him and burst into tears. "You want to get a divorce Thomas. Why?" She asked.

He sighed and held her hands. "Let's get you into bed okay. I promise you I'll tell you everything tomorrow". Tommy said.

She shut her eyes and rested her head on his lap. A few seconds later she was fast asleep again.

Tommy sighed and stood up.

He lifted her up and carried her to bed. He threw the covers over her and flopped down on the seat near the bed.

He sighed and shut his eyes resting his head back. He put his get on top of the bed and sighed, knowing he wasn't going to get any sleep.