prologue.

6th April - monday

chantelle wakes up to her loud, annoying alarm. she checks her phone and sees a few messages from her friends.

we'll miss you.

good luck with everything.

bye, chantelle.

she sighs, sadly and looks around at all the brown cardboard boxes.

its moving day.

she gets up and brushes her curly, wild black afro hair. she parts her hair down the middle and carefully applies some gel to each side, slicking her 4c hair back with a brush.

she uses a hairband to create a low bun at the back of her head and then begins to style her edges.

once she's done, she takes out and outfit from one of the open brown cardboard boxes.

she picks out a blue crop top jumper, black ripped jeans and nike air forces. she puts them on and goes downstairs and walks into the kitchen.

her parents are there discussing a few things about the house. they look towards her and smile.

"hi, sweetie," her mom says greeting her.

"hey, mom." chantelle says leaning on the kitchen counter.

"go wake up simon." her dad says shooing her towards the door.

chantelle nods and goes back upstairs. she opens the door, slowly.

"simon.." she whispers looking towards the bed. he groans in response. she tries to shake him awake. he doesn't move.

let me get an outfit ready for when he does wake up.

she picks out a black nike jumper, navy blue jeans and white reebok trainers for him.

she goes back into her room and carries a few boxes downstairs into the living room.

once she's finished she goes back upstairs into simon's room to try and wake him up again.

"simon?" she says entering his room for the second time. she pulls of the covers and pulls him of the bed.

"leave me alone," simon mumbles. chantelle chuckles, dryly and shoves the clothes into his hands.

"hurry up and get ready." she says before leaving and going back into her room.

chantelle goes back into her room, to check if she has missed anything. she realises she hasn't and goes back downstairs.

"simon's changing, i'll be in the car." she says walking out to their car. she sits in the back and scrolls through her phone. she looks back at all the old photos of her and best friends. small, salty tears roll down her brown skin. she sniffles a bit and closes her eyes, tightly.

i guess it's finally time to go.

the walker family arrive at their new house in manchester. 4 hours away from London by car. it was a long, tiresome journey and all chantelle wants to do is sleep.

once they bring everything into the house. chantelle goes out into the driveway and sees a young boy. she goes over to introduce herself when another boy comes out of the house. this time he's a lot older and taller, but they don't look alike.

their probably half siblings

she walks around the fence that separates the two houses and goes to greet them.

the older boy sees her and smiles. he walks towards her. he stops in front of her and holds out his hand for her to shake.

he's wearing a black leather jacket over a white shirt and has a pair of blue ripped jeans on with red high top, all star, converses.

"i'm liam," he says smiling. she seems to be somewhat dazed by his appearance.

he's very good looking

meanwhile, simon comes out behind the fence and calls out to her.

"chantelle, mom says you need to unpack your things!" he says loudly. she looks at him, annoyed and shoos him away.

"chantelle? are you going to asfc?" liam asks interested. she nods and smiles.

"is there school this week?" chantelle asks. liam shakes his head.

"no, it's half term." he says looking at her. she nods.

"chantelle!" simon calls, again.

chantelle looks towards liam and smiles, weakly.

"i have to go." she says, softly. he nods and watches her go inside.

"bye,"

she's cute.

\\\