chapter 03.

8th April - wednesday

chantelle is out in the back garden, laying on one of the deck chairs reading a book.

the sun is out today but she's decided to sit in the shade.

she hears rustling coming from the bentley's garden. she ignores it and continues to read her book.

"dela!" liam calls out to her, looking over the tall fence. chantelle rolls her eyes and ignores him.

"dela!" he calls out again. this time she looks over. she can see liam's head, which is barely visible because the fence is so high.

"i'm surprised that i can see your head over this fence." chantelle says walking up to it. liam chuckles.

chantelle's hair is up in two puffs. she's wearing a pink vest and white denim shorts. her black sunglasses rest on her nose and her book is in her right hand. her brown and gold sandals resting on the prickly grass. 

"i can't see you," liam says trying to look over the fence. chantelle smiles.

"good." she says smirking. liam sighs.

"why aren't you in the front garden? then i would be able to see you." he says slowly. chantelle yawns.

"the back garden is warmer." she says flipping the pages of her book. liam snickers.

"you're not even in the sun," he says grinning. chantelle frowns, confused.

"how do you know that?" she asks before looking upwards. she sees him looking down from way up high.

how did he get up there?

"i'm standing on a chair." he says as if he read her mind. she shakes her head and looks at him with a bored expression.

"don't look at me like that, i'm risking my life for you." he says leaning forward. she looks away and scoffs.

"stop leaning forward then." she warns. liam chuckles and leans away.

"come to the front garden," liam suggests tilting his head to the side, smiling. she kicks the grass with her sandals.

"no, you come over here." she says avoiding his eyes. he sighs, heavily.

"what? am i supposed to just somehow climb over the fence without falling? i'm not that-" liam babbles on. she clears her throat and looks up at him, the sun hitting her chocolate, brown skin.

"you could just walk through that door." she says smiling, tightly pointing to the small door on the right at the end of the fence.

"huh? how did i not notice that?" he says getting down from his chair. chantelle shakes her head, annoyed.

she lays back onto the deck chair and continues to read her book. liam opens the door. it screeches, loudly and chantelle glances towards him. he slowly walks in and sits at the end of her deck chair.

"so.. how are you?" liam asks, smirking. she glares at him.

"fine." she says frowning. liam chuckles.

"you're not going to ask me how i am?" liam asks watching as her toes curl up, in anger. she scoffs.

"no." she says scowling. liam's eyebrows furrows his eyebrows and scrunches his nose up in confusion.

what's up with her?

"well, i'm fine too." he says looking at her face. her sunglasses make her face look a lot smaller than it actually is. her skin is glistening as the sun manages to hit it.

chantelle sits up and crosses her legs. she puts the book on the grass and takes her sunglasses off. she blinks, her eyes adjusting to the light. she focuses on liam who is staring back at her.

"why did you want to see me?" she asks crossing her arms. liam smiles, softly.

"to ask you if you wanted to come to my birthday party on friday." liam says watching her expression change.

she narrows her eyes at him, puzzled.

"you were born in april? you look like you were born in august." she comments, smugly. liam laughs, dryly.

"you're weird." he says smirking. she shrugs.

"so.. you're not even going to send out an invitation, like a gentleman.. you're just going to ask me like this?" she says looking down at her toes as she wriggles them about.

"i'm not really bothered about it that much." he says looking away. chantelle gasps.

"liam.. it's your birthday in two days. how are you not excited?" she asks looking up at him, concerned. he doesn't look at her, as his brown eyes turn dark.

she moves closer and touches his shoulder, softly. he flinches but doesn't look at her.

"what's the matter?" chantelle asks softly. he shakes his head. he looks at her and smiles, weakly.

"nothing.. it's just-" he pauses and sighs. his eyes glaze over with sadness. chantelle moves her hand away from his shoulder.

"i don't know if i should tell you this but my birthday.. it's the day my father left me seventeen years ago." liam says closing his eyes. chantelle's gasps, sadly. she brings her hand up to her mouth in shock.

"oh.. i'm so sorry." she says watching him as he opens his eyes. he shrugs.

"it's alright, i guess." he says looking at her, with a small smile. she sighs.

"i've tried to forget about it but he is apart of me." he says quietly, his face nostalgic. she nods, slowly.

"you know, his name is mine rearranged?" he says looking at her. she raises her eyebrows in surprise.

"his name is mail?" she asks confused. he rolls his eyes and chuckles.

"not backwards, rearranged. his name is amil." he says sighing. chantelle nods.

"is he middle eastern?" she asks curious. liam nods.

"we look so alike, but i've only seen pictures of him, so he could've changed." he says smiling, softly.

"wait. how is your last name bentley, if your dad is middle eastern?" chantelle asks thinking. liam sighs and yawns.

"my dad was adopted by an english couple. they're my grandparents.. but i don't see them often." he says rubbing his eyes. she nods, understanding.

"are you tired?" she asks him. he nods. she scoffs and pushes him off the deck chair.

"go in the sun.. it'll give you more energy." she says smiling at him. he rolls his eyes, playfully.

"right.. so are you coming to my party on friday?" he says running his hands through his hair. she nods, slowly.

"is there some kind of dress code?" she asks before putting her sunglasses back on. he shakes his head.

"nah, wear whatever you want." he says smirking. she nods, again.

"i bet that you'll wear the same black leather jacket and those silly red converses." she says grinning. he glares at her.

"don't diss me, dela." he says pouting. she smiles and shrugs.

"are you going to leave now, or what?" she asks picking up her book off the grass. he puts both hands on his hips.

"you could've asked me nicely." he says before walking out the small door, slowly. she snickers.

"make sure you're not late to your own party, liam." she shouts as he shuts the door, loudly.

"shut up."