chapter 41.

they enter the dark room with their snacks and sit in their chosen seats.

chantelle places the slushies into the cup holders and gets comfortable in her seat.

liam holds his head in agony as it starts to hurt. chantelle notices and places her hand on his, softly.

"you good, babe?" she asks an eyebrow raised. liam nods with his eyes closed.

"yeah, the vodka is kicking in." he says opening his eyes to look at her with a lazy smirk.

"you're an idiot." she says chuckling and looking towards the screen with a grin. he clasps their hands together, with excitement.

"i know i am."

°

they were half way through the film and liam has already fallen asleep.

his head is softly resting on chantelle's shoulder. his light snores fill her ears as she tries to concentrate on the film.

she holds up her slushie, only to find out that she's finished it. chantelle cheekly glances over at liam's and goes to take his.

he won't mind if i have some of his, right?

she takes a small sip and smiles as the cold, sweet substance floats around her mouth, triggering her taste buds.

chantelle suddenly feels a chill come over her and she realises that someone is watching her from the other side of the screening room. she gulps down the rest of her slushy and tries to ignore the man's unwavering eyes.

liam's hand is still in hers, so she grips onto it out of comfort.

liam groans, uncomfortably and opens his eyes. he looks at chantelle and smiles.

"how long was i out for?" he asks his voice dry and croaky.

"a long time." she answers bluntly before looking at him. liam pouts, cutely; causing chantelle to laugh.

"were you lonely?" he asks watching her eyes drift to look the other side of the room.

"yes." she says her voice shaking, slightly. liam frowns and looks to where she's looking.

"that man.. keeps looking over at us." she says with a small whisper. liam seems to remember something.

"that's jason!" he says having a eureka moment. chantelle furrows her brows, slowly.

"taylor's dad?" she whispers as liam nods. chantelle watches liam's face become full of conflict and anger.

"what's wrong?" she asks placing her hand on his cheek. liam's eyes flicker with sadness, before he looks up at her.

"why is he here?" liam questions as chantelle's fingers slide across his cheek. "i think we should leave--now!"

chantelle is slow to agree but she grabs the popcorn, liam's slushie and her purse.

they carefully walk out of the screening room, trying not to disturb the others watching the film.

"let's go." he says as they get to his car. chantelle looks over at him, with a concerned look on her face. 

"jason- he left when taylor was three but a few years before that he abused my mum and as an eleven year old, it was traumatizing." liam says, his heart clenching. "it was horrible- to watch my mum suffer and go through that. and i wasn't able to help her at all and the worst part is that she went through with it to protect us." chantelle places her hand on his and offers him a reassuring smile.

"taylor may not remember what happened, but i remember all of it." he says tears rolling down.

"oh.. liam." chantelle says out of sympathy. liam wipes his eyes and places his trembling hands onto the steering wheel.